Re: Permaculture in Bazine, KS

Steve Moring

Jul 5, 2016, 10:25:08 AM7/5/16
to Krista LaRocque, KPC-Dev Google Groups)
Hello Krista,

I am a founding member of the Kansas Permaculture Institute and Collaborative.  Some of the our members including myself teach and consult in permaculture design.  I am sharing your appeal for help with the folks on our Google groups list-serve.  You are a fair distance from most of our members who reside on the eastern side of the State.  However, I am sure we can collaborate to give you some advice and help you with a farm layout design concept.  Please share some information about your homestead, e.g. address and land description.  We can see where it goes from there.

You will receive a separate invitation to join our KPC list-serve.  Please let me know when you are signed up.

All the best,

Steve Moring, Director
Kansas Permaculture Collaborative
Vajra Farm, LLC
785-691-7305

On 7/4/2016 2:27 PM, Krista LaRocque wrote:

Hello!

My name is Krista. We are researching ideas for the new property we purchased in Bazine, KS. We purchased the old highschool there and have 7.5 acres. Is there anyone in the area that can help us out? I am very, very new to Permaculture.

Thanks so much!

We are going to be switching phone service soon, but currently my phone number is (919)413-4540, though email might be the best way to reach me.

I look forward to seeing if someone can help us out!

Krista

Carol Barta

Jul 5, 2016, 10:31:25 AM7/5/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Krista--

I used to live in LaCrosse (and actually have been to Bazine) and would be glad to come out to consult with you when you are ready.  If you send me you r address, I can look at it on google earth and get some ideas.

Carol Barta, Manhattan, KS

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." - Lao Tzu

Jul 5, 2016, 11:43:09 AM7/5/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Corner of Burgess and Gilmore???  Retrofitting into farms all the abandoned buildings (with infrastructure like water/electricity) of the western world is a big part of the future, IMO.  I've been throwing around ideas about abandoned Wal-Marts etc. for a few years and it seems like you've grabbed just one such opportunity.  I imagine covering warehouse (or gymnasium) floors with soil and humus, tearing out skylights from the roofs, and creating large terrariums so to speak, where otherwise imported tree crops like avocado, coffee, banana, cacao can all be raised even in our cold winter climates.

I'd love to be involved, but as Stephen said, most of us are a good distance from Bazine.  If it is the property at Burgess and Gilmore, you have some mad opportunities!  What kind of help do you need?  Just ideas, or installation and management?  Best wishes,

-John Lee,
 Intelligent Rebellion permaculture design & Wakarusa Valley Permaculture