Fwd: Tribute to Bill Mollison

Steve Moring

Sep 28, 2016, 10:18:01 AM9/28/16
to KPC-Dev Google Groups), Sustainability Action, Young, Carla, Kaw Council

Dear Friends of Permaculture,

This is to inform you that the founder of our permaculture movement has passed on.

Please join us in honoring Bill Mollison at the Kansas Permaculture Collaborative Gathering at SubTerra Castle, the former missile base west of Topeka this Saturday, Oct. 1.

Details are attached.  RSVP to get directions to SubTerra.

All the best,

Steve Moring    (mori...@gmail.com)

Oct 3, 2016, 1:18:06 PM10/3/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Welcome in Fall

I know we just started fall but with fall comes what are we going to plant next spring. Once again I will offer to organize a tree seedling group buy through the Missouri Department of Conservation. Ordering officially starts on Nov 1st. We got an early start last year but still not soon enough to get some of the varieties many of us wanted. So this year the deadline to get your order to me will be Nov 14th, 2016. The sooner we place the order the better our chances of getting those varieties that we want. There may be a chance to make a later order around December 1st. If I can arrange to do that those orders will not have access to all varieties as the good ones may be all reserved by then. I will verify a December order later when the 2016-2017 catalog order form is released. Funds for you order would be due to me by mid-December and the seedlings will arrive in late March early April.

We have put a lot of trees in the ground by doing this the last couple of years. Conservation orders generally require you to purchase in lot sizes of 25. Most of us do not always want 25 of any one species. This way as a group we generally can order just the number of seedlings we want. Below is the link to the 2015-2016 catalog. So you can at least start browsing and thinking about what you might want to order. I would think that the 2016-2017 catalog will have many of the trees listed. Some may not be available and there may be a few new ones. As soon as the new catalog is available I will post it here.

the 2015-2016 catalog
or try this way to browse

If you are interested send me an email with your contact information. I will start a list and make sure you get the latest updates.

Bill
KPI BOD Member

Greenman Farm
A Permaculture Site in Leavenworth County
A Sustainable Living Experience
Let's Build An Earth Sheltered Dwelling Together

A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky. Crazy Horse

tree value_ajZ4u.jpg

Steve Potratz

Oct 3, 2016, 2:22:43 PM10/3/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Bill,

Just wanted to send you a big note of appreciation for organizing this again.    It is a great service you are providing for us here and I wanted to recognize your efforts on our behalf.

Thank-you,

Steve

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

image001.jpg

Bill

Oct 7, 2016, 11:30:19 AM10/7/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I have posted an event on the KPI Facebook page. If you are interested please RSVP on the Facebook page.

Jeff Ladner from the KS NRCS office in Oskaloosa will join us to talk about the grant application and funding process for the EQIP High Tunnel System Initiative. Claire Zimmerman from Cultivate KC will also be there to talk about her experience growing in the high tunnel.

For those who are truly interested in the high tunnel initiative please bring a copy of your property deed to the workshop. You must own your property where you intend to put the high tunnel in order to qualify. At this meeting you will apply for a farm ID number and apply for the NRCS EQIP high tunnel grant. If you already have a Farm Tracking ID # bring that as well.

Jeff will also talk breifly on how small acre farmers can get involved with the Monarch Butterfly Habitat Development Project.

Leave your RSVP there by saying how many will be attedning with you.

Bill
KPI BOD Memeber

d o u g d u b o i s

Oct 7, 2016, 10:36:59 PM10/7/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
With apologies for being so late getting this to the KPC list:

Saturday, October 8

5pm — Potluck dinner
5:45 — Basic barn dance instruction
6:30 — Contras, squares, and maybe some fun surprises
9:30 — Jamming, visiting by the fire, maybe more dancing, whatever works out. Bring instruments, warm clothes, a late night snack, beverages, marshmallows… (or nothing at all).

Music by YELLVILLE! This new band features three very fine and motivational fiddlers (Tricia Spencer, Howard Rains and Betse Ellis) who will also be passing the guitar around. Banjo by Clarke Wyatt and bass by JJ Hanson. Whether you're inclined to dance or not, don't miss this band!

Calling by Jerome Grisanti, sound by David Barnhill.

We are expecting lovely, clear weather for the event. The temperature, however, will fall rapidly after sundown. We will keep everyone comfy with a fire inside and outside (as well as opportunities to dance!), but we need to keep the musicians and their instruments as warm and happy as possible.

So, we are starting the dance one hour earlier. Potluck at 5pm, beginners lesson at 5:45, dance at 6:30. We are expecting a number of musicians to bring instruments and jam after the dance, and we can move the jam inside near the wood stove if necessary. We will try to have some hot cider on hand, feel free to bring other warming treats as well.

For the dance, no partner or experience needed. New dancers should be on the dance floor promptly at 5:45 to learn the basic barn dance moves. Suggested donation $6-10 (goes to the band, caller and sound guy… thank you for helping to make these events possible).

For directions, please follow the “Directions” link on www.brushyrun.farm. This is a semi-outdoor venue, so dress accordingly (we suggest light layers). There is no alternate date for this dance — in the case of unsuitable weather it will be canceled. Always check the web site before traveling

Please forward this message to anyone who should come.

Background photo: 2016 Homestead Hoedown by Byron Wiley.

Spencer and Rains:
www.spencerandrains.com
www.facebook.com/spencerandrains

Betse Ellis and Clarke Wyatt:
www.betseandclarke.com
www.facebook.com/betseandclarke

JJ Hanson:
www.beautifulmusicviolinshop.com

Jerome Grisanti:
www.facebook.com/jerome.grisanti

Feel free to forward this to a friend!
Don't wish to be on the Brushy Run mailing list? No hard feelings, just let us know for prompt removal.

Bill

Oct 15, 2016, 10:26:03 AM10/15/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Updated information.

from the MDC 2016-2017 catalog:
The nursery had a major flooding event on Dec. 28, 2015. This event resulted in the loss of several varieties of seed, which means there are fewer seedlings available for this sale season. There will be a handful of species that will only be offered on the internet due to limited quantities.

the MDC seed catalog.

another way to view the catalog.

I know we just started fall but with fall comes what are we going to plant next spring. Once again I will offer to organize a tree seedling group buy through the Missouri Department of Conservation. Ordering officially starts on Nov 1st. We got an early start last year but still not soon enough to get some of the varieties many of us wanted. So this year the deadline to get your order to me will be Nov 14th, 2016. The sooner we place the order the better our chances of getting those varieties that we want. There may be a chance to make a later order around in December. If I can arrange to do that those orders will not have access to all varieties as the good ones may be all reserved by then. Funds for you order would be due to me by mid-December and the seedlings will arrive in late March early April.

Members of KPI have put a lot of trees in the ground by doing this the last couple of years. Conservation orders generally require you to purchase in lot sizes of 25. Most of us do not always want 25 of any one species. This way as a group we generally can order just the number of seedlings we want. Above are the links to the 2016-2017 catalog. So you can start browsing NOW and thinking about what you might want to order. Remember, the be part of the first round, your order must be to me by Nov 14th or earlier if at all possible.

If you are interested send me an email with your contact information. I will start a list and make sure you get the latest updates.
Perhaps for those who order larger quantities of seedlings we can organize a Perma-Blitz to help you get your trees in the ground.
tree value_ajZ4u.jpg

Bill

Oct 15, 2016, 10:35:26 AM10/15/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
This event is this Wednesday Oct 26th in Lansing KS. We will start shortly after 6:30 PM.

I have posted an event on the KPI Facebook page.

Jeff Ladner from the KS NRCS office in Oskaloosa will join us to talk about the grant application and funding process for the EQIP High Tunnel System Initiative.
Claire Zimmerman from Cultivate KC will also be there to talk about her experience growing in the high tunnel.

For those who are truly interested in the high tunnel initiative this workshop will help answer some of your questions. You must own your property where you intend to put the high tunnel in order to qualify. At this meeting we will discuss how to apply for a farm ID number and how to apply for the NRCS EQIP high tunnel grant.

If time allows, Jeff will talk briefly on how small acre farmers can get involved with the Monarch Butterfly Habitat Development Project.

Leave your RSVP on the KPI Facebook page or you can send an email to RSVP to (greenmankc at comcast dot net)

Bill

Nov 12, 2016, 10:59:22 PM11/12/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Early Order being placed on Monday evening. If you want to be part of this group order I need your requests by Sunday evening Nov 13.
tree value_ajZ4u.jpg

John Lee

Nov 13, 2016, 10:08:33 AM11/13/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill, we are ordering something in the range of 560 plants this week from MDC.  Would it be better for us to just place our own order, in terms of shipping?  How much are you planning to order, or better question how large is the aggregate total of plants with everyone else's orders and yours?

I'm thinking if y'all's order is significantly smaller, we should either order separate from your shipment or perhaps some folks can latch onto our order.  The catalog says they (charge to) ship orders by the 100, so we have room for 40 plants on our order.

Is the 14th cut-off your personal timeline or the MDCs??  We were planning to order on Wednesday.
-John Lee,
 Wakarusa Valley Permaculture, LLC

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Steve Potratz

Nov 14, 2016, 12:07:07 AM11/14/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

I thought we were going to get a spreadsheet like before:

I would like the following if available.   Qty is flexible if you need to fill orders but I have listed approximately what I want.

Black Chokeberry 5

False Indigo 6

Pawpaw 4

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

image001.jpg

Bill Price

Nov 14, 2016, 6:39:31 AM11/14/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
LOL OK that can be arranged. I will attach the spreadsheet tonight. I will hold up a couple more days then to order

Bill

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 13, 2016, at 11:07 PM, Steve Potratz <spot...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I thought we were going to get a spreadsheet like before:

I would like the following if available.   Qty is flexible if you need to fill orders but I have listed approximately what I want.

Black Chokeberry 5

False Indigo 6

Pawpaw 4

John Lee

Nov 14, 2016, 9:30:24 AM11/14/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Bill, we are in Lawrence, Kansas.  I actually forgot to mention that there were no dimensions, approximate or otherwise, given for each flat of 100 plants, but at $10 shipping for every 100 plants, I think it may be worth it to just have them go ahead and ship it to our farm rather than trying to pick up from a friend's MO location.  If MDC drops plants on the highway, I reckon they'll replace them.  If we drop them, we're probably out of luck.  Also, with gas in the old truck we have (hauling a trailer), we wouldn't save a terrible lot by picking up ourselves.

Unless the trees are tiny, we'll have our order shipped to Lawrence.  Thanks for the offer though, Bill!  If anyone near (or further west than) Lawrence wants to throw 40 or less plants on our order, they're welcome to get ahold of me and set that up.  We can get more than that 40 number, but would have another $10 shipping charge tagged on, which is fine and we can work out.

Thanks again Bill and sorry for the confusion.
-John Lee,
 Wakarusa Valley Permaculture
 316 N. 851 Diagonal Rd., Lawrence, KS, 66047

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Bill

Nov 15, 2016, 12:06:48 AM11/15/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
As requested the order as it now stands, see pdf attachment.
If you are still interested please send me an email at ( green...@comcast.net) I would like to send this off Wednesday morning.
This order is looking for someone who might be interested in 7 Pecans.
Any additional orders will need to, as a group, equal either 10 or 25 per seedling. I can pick up a few extras if they fit in my design.

[...]

20161114_MODC Tree Order_List for 2017_toDate.pdf

Bill

Oct 28, 2017, 11:10:23 AM10/28/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Greetings

With fall comes what are we going to plant next spring. Once again I will offer to organize a tree seedling group buy through the Missouri Department of Conservation. Ordering officially via their website has already began. There are a lot of great seedlings to order and at this price it is worth it to buy extras. The deadline to get your order to me will be Nov 20th, 2017. The sooner we place the order the better our chances of getting those varieties that we want. As we need to buy in lot sizes I will not be able to place single orders as they arrive unless in lot sizes of 25. The last chance to amend the order will be around around December 15th. The varieties everyone will want will go first so if there is a specific tree species you want order early. Funds for you order would be due to me by the end of December and the seedlings will arrive in late March early April.

We have put a lot of trees in the ground by doing this the last few of years. Conservation orders generally require you to purchase in lot sizes of 25. Most of us do not always want 25 of any one species. This way as a group we generally can order just the number of seedlings we want. Below is the link to the 2017-2018 catalog. So you can at least start browsing and thinking about what you might want to order.

the 2017-2018 catalog
Your order will have a MO Sales Tax (about 6%) a MO Shipping Fee (about $0.02 per seedling) and this year the KPI Board of Directors will allow me to collect a handling fee for my efforts and distribution cost once the seedlings arrive (10%).