Apple Cider Vinegar

Scott Barth

Oct 31, 2016, 3:11:10 PM10/31/16
to KPC-Dev

Hi everyone,

At the fall gathering, we had taken a bag of the crushed apples home to make apple cider vinegar. I had some discussions with others that night about how to make vinegar. Stephanie and I strained the crocks today so I thought I'd share the process and pictures.

We started by dividing the crushed apples into two 3-gallon crocks, topping with water, adding a tablespoon of sugar, then weighing them down with a plate and a jar of water. Then we added pieces of mother (a blob of cellulose and acetic acid bacteria) from another batch we have cooking. You can also obtain some mother from a bottle of Bragg's cider vinegar. We covered the crocks with towels and let them be until today.

Today, we fished out the mothers, and strained the rest through cheese cloth. After pouring the liquid into clean containers, we replaced the mothers. These will sit until we think it is acidic enough (and we will test with our pH meter). If you are canning using your own vinegar, it is important to test to be sure you have it strong enough. We tasted each batch and one was a bit further along than the other, for some reason.

Hope you find this helpful!

1. Crock with apple mass weighed down.

2. The "mother" It's alive!!!!

3. The filtered vinegar with the mother back in.

Laura Odell

Nov 1, 2016, 12:43:11 AM11/1/16
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Very cool. Thanks for sharing

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.