Re: [KPC-Dev] Digest for kpc-dev@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Loretta C

Feb 5, 2018, 4:03:13 PM2/5/18
to kpc-dev
Nancy,

I sprout my whole grains but also grow some fodder mainly for cows but also could be for chickens. To keep it easy, I just use barley seed.

I basically soak the grains for 24 hrs and then rinse them twice a day for a few days in buckets that have drainage holes and then mix with a purchased non-gmo no-soy mix and then feed.  After sprouting I used to add a mix of fish meal, nutri-balancer, kelp, calcium ect. but now I just use the purchased feed and I figure they get the added vitamins and minerals that they might be missing from the grain alone.  It seems to work.  Getting lazy.

I also get heritage corn-on-the-cob from Paul Conway in Leavenworth and throw a few cobs of corn to them every day. I hope to grow some of my own corn this summer and store it for the hens.  But I'm not ready to start thrashing my own grains!   I have about 20 birds.

I get the grains and mix from Thayer feed and some of the other seeds from the local feed store.

Loretta

Prairie Garden Farm

Basehor, KS

Visit us on FaceBook.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:47 PM, <kpc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Nancy Boyda <kansa...@gmail.com>: Feb 05 08:08AM -0600

Late winter greetings to all. Spring is close!

Is anyone doing fodder for their chickens? I've been reading and looking
at YouTube but would love to hear from local permies about their
experiences.

Thank you.......Nancy