recycling totes for garden use

Ben Stallings

Mar 4, 2017, 6:38:23 PM3/4/17
to KPC-Dev

As some of you know, I recently had to end the curbside recycling service I had been providing in Emporia. As a result, I have over a hundred sturdy, green plastic totes in new or gently used condition, which I need to find new homes for, preferably with compensation since they originally cost me $15 apiece. I'm posting here because I find them to be very useful in the garden, and I think you would, too.

The totes are 18 gallons in volume, roughly 24" wide by 18" tall by 12" front-to-back, plus another 3" tall if you snap on the (optional) lid. They are made of 100% recycled food-grade HDPE (like the 55 gallon drums many of us use for rain barrels) and stand up to years if not decades of exposure to sun and water. They have four drain holes in the bottom, so they are not good for keeping contents dry in locations that might flood, but on the bright side you don't have to worry about breeding mosquitoes. The handles are quite strong, especially when the lid is attached. I've used the totes for vermicomposting, planting veggies and shrubs, and even as the form for the deep part of a goldfish pond (beneath a plastic liner), but the most common use I have for them is carrying green & brown matter around the garden, since they're a perfect size for carrying bulky stuff without straining your back.

They are located in Emporia, but I'll be in Lawrence a number of times this month, and my wife goes to Manhattan several times a month, so if you can work with our schedule, we can get the totes closer to you.

I'll make you a deal: $5 each, 6 for $25, or a baker's dozen for $50. And I won't charge extra for the lids; just specify whether you want them or not. Please reply directly to me, not to the list. Thank you!

Ben Stallings
Interdependent Web

Carol Barta

Mar 5, 2017, 6:42:01 PM3/5/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I'll take 6. Let me know when your wife is heading to Manhattan.

Sent from my iPhone
~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Amanda Campanella

Mar 5, 2017, 11:07:58 PM3/5/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

I'm in Manhattan as well, and I would like 2 baker's dozen with lids, please:) I am pretty flexible schedule-wise, and would be happy to meet wherever your wife meets Carol Barta so she only has to make one stop.

Thanks!

Amanda Campanella

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Sasha Banksova

Ben Stallings

Mar 6, 2017, 10:40:05 AM3/6/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Neel

Mar 6, 2017, 11:03:39 AM3/6/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I live N of Manhattan and would be interested in 6-12.  Can you send a pic?  Thanks, Jeff

Out of curiosity, do you have other equipment from your recycling business?  How did you haul the recycling??  We used to have a local recycling business but they shut down so I now live in a 200+ community without access to recycling unless a large number of us pay for the trash service and recycling.  I'm only interested in recycling since I wish to decrease trash to nearly nothing and don't want to pay the high trash service fees.  I would pay for recycling though.  It may be a community project to buy the equipment and take turns hauling.  Just curious your insights and experience with it.

Best, Jeff

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Ben Stallings <interd...@gmail.com> wrote:

~
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/kpc-dev?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

 Jeff Neel
Applied Research, Restoration and Monitoring Program Director
Kansas Alliance for Wetlands & Streams
Toll-Free KAWS: 844-410-0040

..·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ,.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

.•´¯`•. ><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸  ><((((º> .•´¯`•.  ><((((º>
¸.·´¯`·..·´¯`·.¸
><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Carol Barta

Mar 9, 2017, 3:30:19 PM3/9/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com

We could meet in city park where the Crisp's bring their chickens and other stuff.

Carol Barta, Manhattan, KS

Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.

~ Desiderius Erasmus

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "KPC-Dev" group.

Ben Stallings

Amanda Campanella

Mar 22, 2017, 9:35:34 PM3/22/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I don't need all 26 now. Feel free to bring Jeff's and whatever of my count fits.

Carol Barta

Mar 22, 2017, 9:59:44 PM3/22/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Yes. That's fine. I will send you my notes for our class this weekend. Life has been crazy. My chickens were killed by a controlled burn that got away from the county guys. Carbon monoxide from what the vet said. Been a weird few days.

Carol

Sent from my iPhone

Amanda Campanella

Mar 22, 2017, 10:02:14 PM3/22/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
I'm so sorry to hear that, Carol.

Jeff Neel

Mar 23, 2017, 12:47:00 AM3/23/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com
Ok, You can send totes another time.  Or if you are able to bring them, then that is great.  I prefer lids if possible.  Thanks, Jeff

Ben Stallings

Carol Barta

May 2, 2017, 5:43:32 PM5/2/17
to kpc...@googlegroups.com, interd...@gmail.com

Jeff-

If you live in the MHK area you have some choices for trash service that will pick up only as often as you request.  I use the Mallons.  They have the town divided up between George and Joe (cousins) so they don't step on each other's routes.  I have them come every other week.  $6 per run.