Split editor

41 wyświetleń

Ze'ev Klapow

nieprzeczytany,
31 gru 2010, 02:09:2631.12.2010
do Kod.app
I think it'd be a really killer feature to be able to split the
editor, to be able to view multiple source files at the same time. I'm
not just talking like once down the center either, I think we should
be able to split both vertically and horizontally, so that
theoretically if you had a large enough monitor you could have 100
files open and viewable simultaneously. This would be really for
working with source and header files in languages that have them and
could also be used to do things like open the imported files in a
python script.

Wondering what others think about this

Swizec Teller

nieprzeczytany,
31 gru 2010, 05:44:2731.12.2010
do kod...@googlegroups.com
You can already do this by using more than one window.

It feels a lot more intuitive than splitting windows, especially when tabs
are involved because you maintain the "tab == open file" paradigm.

My 2cents on the issue :)

~Swizec

Stephan Müller

nieprzeczytany,
31 gru 2010, 07:15:5231.12.2010
do Kod.app
What about some kind of "file relations"? A file could for example be
linked to a header file and an URL to preview it. Those linked files
could be opened an a split view (if implemented), or just a separate
window. In that case, a split view could be a good idea after all, as
long as it's clear which file is the main file (associated with the
open tab), and which one the additional.

With vertical splits, it needs the window to be much wider than usual.
If you switch back to a tab without the additional views, all the
space is wasted. Horizontal splits take away lot of space.

However, some common problems could be solved with a splitviewish
design:
* watch the code and the result (rendered webpage) at the same time
* look at a different file (header) while editing another
* look at another position inside the same file while editing
* dont have several windows belonging clearly to the same project/
workflow

My suggestion: Have a window, much like TextMates "web preview"
embedded right to the working area. Lets call it "relation drawer". It
could be hidden, just like the file tree on the left side. In addition
to the "web preview" functionality, one could use it to just open one
additional (header) file. Or even a terminal. The content should be
set for the whole window, not per tab. The content could be set via
right click on a file ("open header file in relation drawer", "open
web preview in relation drawer", "run script in relation
drawer", ...).

I dont think such a feature is really needed in a text editor like
Kod, but hope some of my thoughts my lead to more appropriate
solutions.

On Dec 31, 11:44 am, Swizec Teller <swi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can already do this by using more than one window.
>
> It feels a lot more intuitive than splitting windows, especially when tabs
> are involved because you maintain the "tab == open file" paradigm.
>
> My 2cents on the issue :)
>
> ~Swizec
>
> On 31 December 2010 08:09, Ze'ev Klapow <zkla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think it'd be a really killer feature to be able to split the
> > editor, to be able to view multiple source files at the same time. I'm
> > not just talking like once down the center either, I think we should
> > be able to split both vertically and horizontally, so that
> > theoretically if you had a large enough monitor you could have 100
> > files open and viewable simultaneously. This would be really for
> > working with source and header files in languages that have them and
> > could also be used to do things like open the imported files in a
> > python script.
>
> > Wondering what others think about this
>
> > --

steve ross

nieprzeczytany,
31 gru 2010, 20:15:4331.12.2010
do kod...@googlegroups.com
Using more than one window gives each window a different z-order so it's not the same thing. For people used to being able to split a window and rely on it being on the same visual plane, "use other windows" is the workaround they're already hating in TM.

Just my opinion. One guy, one opinion.

Zach LeBar

nieprzeczytany,
31 gru 2010, 20:35:5331.12.2010
do kod...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Steve. Using multiple windows is a hack for split panes. I think the user experience would be far and away better if split views are incorporated as a feature in Kod, instead of forcing people to use the same old hack (i.e. multiple windows).

- Zach LeBar

aristidesfl

nieprzeczytany,
1 sty 2011, 14:09:051.01.2011
do kod...@googlegroups.com
I agree that having multiple windows for different files on the same screen instead of split view is the hack TM users are already complaining.
The level of the achievable usability/workflow/integration is not the same.

The solution being discussed on the "re: Tabs" discussion, uses the sidebar to represent files instead of tabs.
That solution would solve this problem.
One could as easily show the same, or different files in each side of the split.
A click in a item in the sidebar would open the file in the side of the split where the caret is placed at the moment.

Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż
Nowe wiadomości: 0