Feature Request: Embedded Terminal

dandean

Jan 25, 2011, 6:28:39 PM1/25/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Hello! So far, Kod is quite awesome. I'm very excited to see how it evolves.

On feature that I'd LOVE to have is an embedded terminal. I've comped up a simple little example:

Nothing too complex here, just a little terminal window to slide over the text editor view. The biggest benefit of something like this is that it would keep developers from having to switch back and forth between applications so much, especially when I see myself primarily between Terminal.app and my text editor.

Thoughts?

Sean Clark Hess

Jan 25, 2011, 6:38:41 PM1/25/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
This would be cool if it started in the folder you had open

Stephan Müller

Jan 25, 2011, 7:29:30 PM1/25/11
to Kod.app
I'm not sure if its much easier to switch key to a different panel
than to a different application. It looks nice and sounds like a good
Idea, but do we really need it? Maybe providing some scenarios would
help me understand…

A contextual menu for the folders in the sidebar to open a terminal
window and cd into them would be really nice. This could be
implemented with or without embedded terminal.

With TextMate, I open the Terminal, type "cd ", go back to TextMate
and drag the root folder from the side panel to the terminal window.
In Kod, this is currently not possible, since (1) there is no
representation of the working directory inside the side panel and (2)
the files and folders in the side panel are currently not draggable.

On Jan 26, 12:38 am, Sean Clark Hess <seanh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This would be cool if it started in the folder you had open
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM, dandean <danwd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello! So far, Kod is quite awesome. I'm very excited to see how it
> > evolves.
>
> > On feature that I'd LOVE to have is an embedded terminal. I've comped up a
> > simple little example:
>
> > <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_eDOupo177zQ/TT9b6bqGWXI/AAAAAAAAAQ...>
> > Nothing too complex here, just a little terminal window to slide over the
> > text editor view. The biggest benefit of something like this is that it
> > would keep developers from having to switch back and forth between
> > applications so much, especially when I see myself primarily between
> > Terminal.app and my text editor.
>
> > Thoughts?

August Joki

Jan 25, 2011, 8:18:21 PM1/25/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I present to you, for your viewing pleasure, DTerm: http://decimus.net/DTerm/.

-August

Thomas Aylott

Jan 26, 2011, 3:03:58 AM1/26/11
to Kod.app
What might be useful for Kod haxx0rs would be a node.js terminal.
Maybe even hook up the Web Inspector.

Jeremy Clarke

Jan 26, 2011, 1:29:34 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I wholeheartedly recommend Visor to you: http://visor.binaryage.com/

It gives you a quake-style terminal window that slides down from the top of your screen. I have it keyed to go off when CTRL is tapped twice in a row and it works great.

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design • globalvoicesonline.org

garethwi

Jan 26, 2011, 3:25:16 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a wonderful idea.  If I might suggest one thing it's don't make the same mistake as Coda, and have the open terminal attached to one open window, but rather always there until it's close, no matter which tab you are in.  Or, if people prefer the Coda approach, make it an option.

dandean

Jan 26, 2011, 3:39:15 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I agree - it should be global and not attached to a specific window or file.

dandean

Jan 26, 2011, 3:40:13 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I use visor right now. It's a huge step up from Terminal in its own window, but still forces context switching.

dandean

Jan 26, 2011, 3:41:42 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Wow! DTerm is awesome, though it still has some issues, and still forces a context shift.

For instance, each time you open it up it boots a new Terminal session, which can be kinda slow if you're doing anything in your .backrc file.

dandean

Jan 26, 2011, 3:44:22 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
One scenario where this would be incredibly helpful for *my* workflow is with unit testing.

When writing my unit tests I'm often switching back and for between Terminal, where I execute the test suite, and my editor, where I'm writing my test suite. I'd save a ton of time and the process would be much cleaner if the terminal was present within the editor as an overlay.

Stephan Müller

Jan 26, 2011, 6:54:42 PM1/26/11
to Kod.app
The context switching wont go away by simply adding a terminal panel
inside the main window. IMO, this would be hardly an improvement to
simply placing a terminal window next to the Kod window and switch by
clicking or cmd-tab.

If we are going to implement this, I think it needs to be in a way
that really helps streamlining the workflow. TextMate for example
allows to run commands context sensitive, use text selection, insert
the result directly to the cursor position or show it inside a new
window. I would like to see a solution like in dandeans mockup, as
well as a similar web view solution where scripts can write and
manipulate content. But it needs to be "smooth". Auto-hide when the
cursor goes back to the text, shortcuts to run certain commands in it;
that kind of things.

I dont think this feature will be implemented anytime soon, since
there is just too much important low level stuff to do. Maybe it wont
be implemented at all, since Kod is, well, only a text editor. But it
wont hurt to come up with some good ideas anyway.

-- Stephan

Bryan Swift

Jan 26, 2011, 7:31:18 PM1/26/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com

I think the best suggestion in here is a panel to execute node.js scripts or commands in the context of Kod. I could see this being enormously helpful for plugin developers. The embedded terminal is otherwise just the start of the Homer Car because Stephan is right opening a terminal panel is no less of a context switch than switching to a small terminal window with Cmd + Tab.