Troubles opening & saving files AND survey on phone shows error message

Larissa Leben

Apr 8, 2014, 6:43:38 AM4/8/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I completed my survey with KoBo Form now but for some reason I cannot open it on my mobile with KoBo Collect.
Please find attached the form.

Could anyone please advise what I did wrong?

I can open the offline-version of KoBo Form with FireFox but not with the Internet Explorer. It just keeps loading. I allowed all pop ups and put down the security settings..
However, only in the offline version there is this option for repeated questions which I need for my survey.
I created a survey with the offline version but at some stage (I deleted one questions and after this) I could not add or delete any further questions. So I safed it and opened it with the online version.
Now I have two problems:

1) I cannot add any further repeated questions and
2) I cannot use the survey on my phone as there is an error message.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Best regards
Larissa
WASH Kit Distribution Evaluation08April2014_version2.xml

Tino Kreutzer

Apr 8, 2014, 12:19:23 PM4/8/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larissa,
Thanks for your email, and I'm sorry you're having these issues. We took out the grouping and repeat options from the user interface since they have a number of bugs associated with them, including not being able to add a new question after a group (it's always added inside the group). That said, groups can be used nonetheless, including in the online version. Note that the current offline version also no longer has the grouping function. The current version can be downloaded from https://github.com/kobotoolbox/koboform/releases

For using KoBoForm offline, please use FireFox. Other browsers don't support the type of application offline.

If you want to create a group, you can still do so in the current version. The feature is just more hidden than it was before:
1. Create a text question with the name of your group section, e.g. "Group section 1" (can be any question type though)
2. Create another question that is to follow the group (and not be a child of that group). This is the workaround for not being able to 'exit' a group once it has been created.
3. Now, click on the first question "Group section 1" and in the right column choose Question Type: Group. This converts the question from a text question into a group.
4. Now add your child questions inside the group, which will appear indented on the left.

I fixed your form. There were no labels for some reason for questions 7 and 9 (assuming that's their numbers. I added them as "THIS QUESTION TEXT IS MISSING". The form now loads fine. I saw some strange markup in the code that didn't come from KoBoForm. Did you maybe try to edit the file in another program?

Let me know if you have any more trouble.

Best,
Tino

--
Tino Kreutzer
Program Manager

WASH Kit Distribution Evaluation08April2014_version1_fixed.xml