Having trouble uploading XLS

Moya Chin

Jul 7, 2015, 1:39:06 AM7/7/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
I'm having trouble uploading a form to KoBo.  I made most of the form in form builder, exported it to XLS, and then made some edits.  Most of the edits I made were variable names and a little bit of logic, so did not change many things.  However, when I try and upload it back to form builder (through +Add Form), I get an error: Error: Content-type not recognized: 'application/msexcel'

I have also tried uploading it as a project, and it uploads but I can't preview it or enter data in browser.  I am relatively new to XML, but I made the following checks:
- that no question had the same "name"
- that the question "type" had no typos
- that the question references in the "relevant" column were only to questions preceding that question

I feel that 80% of the form must be correct, since I exported it directly from form builder, but not sure where I went wrong!  Is there anything that looks glaringly wrong?  Is there any sort of XLS form debugger?
kerala_social_security.xls

Vinck, Patrick

Jul 7, 2015, 3:42:40 AM7/7/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Moya,

I have been able to import the form on two different computers and enter data.

Do you have the opportunity to test on a different computer?

P.

Moya Chin

Jul 7, 2015, 3:54:59 AM7/7/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
I've just tried it out on another computer, and when I click the "enter data in browser" button (under the Project tab), I am still getting an error ("form not reachable (or an error occurred during transformation)").

I've made some changes to the form (but believe that these are not major changes).  Could you confirm that the file still works?  Additionally, I am using firefox and have tried on Chrome and neither work.  This is the new version of the file.

kerala_social_security.xls

Moya Chin

Jul 7, 2015, 5:13:18 AM7/7/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I used someone else's computer again, created a new project and uploaded, and it seems to work now!  Any reason why it wouldn't be working on my computer?

Finally, I noticed some things that don't seem to have gone through when I look at the web form:

- I have a repeat_count column, that references to the response in a previous question, but I'm still able to repeat it more times than the number inputted in the web form.
- I repeat a group of questions, and there is skip logic within it.  It seems that if I am on iteration 2, sometimes the skip logic refers back to what was input on iteration 1.  Is this supposed to happen?  For example, this is happening for the group_pensionaware (q3_2, q3_3 were both selected as "other" in iteration 1, and the "Specify, other" question is showing up in iteration 2, even if "other" was not selected for either of these questions).

Thanks,
Moya

Tino Kreutzer

Jul 10, 2015, 10:15:05 AM7/10/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Moya,

Regarding repeat-count(), there is a slight difference between Web Forms and KoBoCollect: In the former it's a minimum number of times that the group will be displayed, for the latter it's an exact number. See this article for other differences.

Thanks for reporting this issue regarding skip logic in your repeat group. After some lengthy testing of your form I can confirm that this is a bug in our Web Forms but not in KoBoCollect. It only happens in a particular combination of skip logic on several levels, which is why this hasn't been spotted before. We'll fix it shortly. Please note that if you're going to use KoBoCollect as your data collection method you can't use 'field-list' as the group appearance and use any skip logic between questions within that group. Collect renders the group on the same 'page' only once, so even if q3_1 is ticked 'yes' you wouldn't automatically see q3_2 appear dynamically since it's in the same field-list group.

Could you please send me the link to your Web form that says "form not reachable" and the URL of your project? We need to check why that is the case and fix it on our end.

Finally, regarding the issue you had earlier about not being able to import the XLS form file, can you share with us the exact browser and operating system you were using where you encountered `Error: Content-type not recognized: 'application/msexcel'` ?

Best,
Tino

Moya Chin

Jul 11, 2015, 8:19:36 AM7/11/15
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the help Tino.

For the form not reachable, I think unfortunately, we had overwritten the project, since I ended up uploading it from someone else's computer.  My computer also seems to be uploading fine now, so I think we will not be able to figure it out =/

The browser I was using was both Firefox and Chrome, and I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.  I seem to also be able to upload XLS forms to the formbuilder now as well...I recently flew back to the US so maybe it was some weird combination of my computer and the firewall that I was probably going through while abroad.

Moya