Upload form that was disigned with ODK Build does not work - And - How to send submitted forms without USB to storage folder

Larissa Leben

Apr 5, 2014, 5:51:07 AM4/5/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am new to KoBo and disgned a form with ODK Build and dragged it via USB onto my phone, filled it out and submitted it. Now the only way I could get it back on the PC was via USB.
A) Is there a way to send it directly over the internet to the PC (when you are in the field) into a specific file?

B) Also, I cannot open an XML file with KoBo that I created with ODK Build. I tried to "Open from file" but then it does not open. Put down the Java security already. Any ideas what I do wrong?

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Larissa

Larissa Leben

Apr 6, 2014, 8:05:27 PM4/6/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
for B), it works with InternetExplorer :)

Tino Kreutzer

Apr 8, 2014, 1:03:38 PM4/8/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larissa,
For your other question, it's very easy to set up your computer and your phone with a remote file syncing option. For that you can use a shared Dropbox folder where you save your new XML file into. On your mobile device you will have to set up an app that syncs the /odk/forms folder with your Dropbox folder. We've used Dropsync and Foldersync in the past; the latter also works with other services such as Google Drive.

Hope this works for you!
Tino

--
Tino Kreutzer
Program Manager

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Larissa Leben <lariss...@gmail.com> wrote:
for B), it works with InternetExplorer :)

Nick Anderson

Jun 25, 2014, 5:21:05 PM6/25/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Tino,

Is there no way to set up an automatic Sync through WiFi for completed forms (without resorting to 3rd party apps like Dropsync)? The offline functionality is great when you don't have connectivity, but it seems like an option for 'pushing' forms from Kobo Form to Kobo Collect would be a simple and effective way to transfer new forms to and from mobile devices when they do have connectivity.

robert

Jun 26, 2014, 1:42:14 PM6/26/14
to kobo-...@googlegroups.com
Tino,

I'm having a similar problem to issue "B)" tha Larissa brought up in this thread's initial post. I can see the forms that are saved to the desktop of my computer in their respective folder.  I cannot open these forms up via the Kobo Form Browser window.  I simply get a screen with a truncated pop-up window and no form or error message shows up. (see attached image).  The browser I am using is Firefox 30.0.

(1) I Have tried the IE option as Larissa suggested.  However once I modify a form and resave (rewrite) it under the same name (back to my desktop) IE crashes.  Also, I can no longer open the resaved form in IE and (obviously) Firefox.

(2) I could open saved forms in Firefox a couple of weeks ago

(3) I have tried this on two separate computers; both running windows 7 Professional; the same problem(s) occurs

(4) I have tried to open the xml forms in notepad, copy the text and paste it into the "view from text" option.  Nothing happens in neither IE nor Firefox except error messages.

(5) I have installed the Java Security workarounds on both computers.

Thanks for any input; effectively we cannot modify or change forms once they have been designed.

-rls