Is Durandal dropping Knockout?

John Farrar

Apr 2, 2014, 3:26:22 PM4/2/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the next version will be dropping KnockoutJS. Can anyone verify that?

Also, if they are perhaps we as a community out to collaborate to take charge of a FORK on the current version.

Gunnar Liljas

Apr 2, 2014, 4:23:42 PM4/2/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
My impression is that, yes, Durandal will be dropping Knockout. Not because of any issues with Knockout, but because they (he) are aiming the NextGen version at new, browser native technologies, such as Object.observe, WebComponents etc. It's all very bleeding edge, but I can't blame them (him) for wanting to stay ahead. I believe the Knockout version will continue to be developed, for quite some time. I also think it's likely that Knockout will eventually also build upon upcoming native stuff, with a few fallbacks for older browsers.

/G

Looks like the next version will be dropping KnockoutJS. Can anyone verify that?

Also, if they are perhaps we as a community out to collaborate to take charge of a FORK on the current version.

John Farrar

Apr 2, 2014, 6:20:16 PM4/2/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Seems like he is dealing with more controlled clients than his open source audience.

lok...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 9:36:22 AM4/8/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
What did you find that made you think that?  Currently the 2.1.0 durandal branch has KO v3.0 in it.  I'm curious cause we're just trying out Durandal for a project and this would be good to know before we get too far.

John Farrar

Apr 8, 2014, 9:49:46 AM4/8/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com, lok...@gmail.com
It was the blog post speaking of NextGen Durandal. That is what is coming in May I guess, but the current system is still moving forward. In fact the blog post suggests how to code to make upgrading to NextGen as easy as possible if we choose to.

Josh Rivers

Apr 15, 2014, 1:16:53 PM4/15/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the answer is that Durandal will definitely be dropping Knockout. To an extent, Durandal will be dropping Durandal...

Lars GBN

Apr 15, 2014, 6:11:57 PM4/15/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I also noticed that today.

Rob keeps ensuring us that Durandal 2.x will continue being updated, but in the same blog post he almost says that the next release (2.1) will be the last release with new features, and looking at his GitHub repo, it seems that development has stalled quite a bit on Durandal.

schadens...@googlemail.com

Apr 17, 2014, 4:17:04 PM4/17/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com
I agree!
AngularJS 2.0 is going to receive all the durandal features but still will be named "AngularJS". Additionally Rob states he is working on AngularJS 2.0 for 3 month now! 3 months ago he failed to fund his project on kickstarter. Looks like a clear signal to me.

I am curious though how the migration to AngularJS 2.0 is going to look alike when there is no knockout support anymore.

Lars GBN

Apr 22, 2014, 5:19:46 PM4/22/14
to knock...@googlegroups.com, schadens...@googlemail.com
He recommends that you start using the Durandal observable plugin (needs ES5-compatible browser), Knockout.Punches and classes for modularization. I'm doing a pretty sweet BaseViewModel class at work. Maybe I'll make some open source version based on my experiences.

Read more at

http://eisenbergeffect.bluespire.com/preparing-for-durandal-nextgen/