Convert lyx to word

José Luis Cañadas

Jul 9, 2013, 3:24:08 PM7/9/13
to kn...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody.

I just finished my postgraduade final work, and I need convert my lyx document to word (to try publish that in a institution which needs word documents). My lyx documents have a one master lyx document and 5 lyx child documents with chunks of R code.

Any idea?

Thanks

Jeff Newmiller

Jul 9, 2013, 4:02:27 PM7/9/13
to José Luis Cañadas, kn...@googlegroups.com

Google for "pandoc". Expect some manual labor to get it right.

Yihui Xie

Jul 10, 2013, 8:27:17 PM7/10/13
to José Luis Cañadas, kn...@googlegroups.com
That is probably not easy. You can export a LyX document to HTML,
which can be opened in Word, but LyX+knitr produces LaTeX, and it is
much more complicated to convert LaTeX to Word.

I do not, and never can, understand why publishing anything has to
require Word. LaTeX/PDF is so much easier to work with and more
beautiful.

Google "pdf to word" and you might have some luck, e.g. http://www.pdftoword.com

I would rather talk to a publisher that supports LaTeX like Springer,
Chapman & Hall, ... instead of wasting time on the conversion.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xiey...@gmail.com>
Phone: 206-667-4385 Web: http://yihui.name

José Luis Cañadas Reche

Jul 11, 2013, 5:15:01 AM7/11/13
to Yihui Xie, kn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Yihui.

I will continue looking for a solution

Regards.

Jos� Luis

El 11/07/13 02:27, Yihui Xie escribi�:
> That is probably not easy. You can export a LyX document to HTML,
> which can be opened in Word, but LyX+knitr produces LaTeX, and it is
> much more complicated to convert LaTeX to Word.
>
> I do not, and never can, understand why publishing anything has to
> require Word. LaTeX/PDF is so much easier to work with and more
> beautiful.
>
> Google "pdf to word" and you might have some luck, e.g.http://www.pdftoword.com
>
> I would rather talk to a publisher that supports LaTeX like Springer,
> Chapman & Hall, ... instead of wasting time on the conversion.
>
> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie<xiey...@gmail.com>
> Phone: 206-667-4385 Web:http://yihui.name
> Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle
>

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jos� Luis Ca�adas
> <canada...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I just finished my postgraduade final work, and I need convert my lyx
>> document to word (to try publish that in a institution which needs word
>> documents). My lyx documents have a one master lyx document and 5 lyx child
>> documents with chunks of R code.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks

José Luis Cañadas

Jul 11, 2013, 5:45:58 AM7/11/13
to kn...@googlegroups.com, Yihui Xie
I have found this for ubuntu  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1033441

It consists in install tex4ht. In comments I've seen using
latex test.tex
latex test.tex
latex test.tex
htlatex test.tex
and get a html file

In my case.
  • convert lyx file (with knitr chunks) to latex using export (luatex).
  • install tex4ht in xubuntu via install.packages tex4ht
  • Run latex myfle.tex 3 times and htlatex myfile.tex once
  • Import myfile.html with libreoffice

The figures  are not imported , equations are imported like a image, and tables (uhmn, regular imports). The output of R chunks is ok, but it needs customization.

Regards

El jueves, 11 de julio de 2013 11:15:01 UTC+2, José Luis Cañadas escribió:
Thanks Yihui.

I will continue looking for a solution

Regards.

Jos� Luis

El 11/07/13 02:27, Yihui Xie escribi�:
> That is probably not easy. You can export a LyX document to HTML,
> which can be opened in Word, but LyX+knitr produces LaTeX, and it is
> much more complicated to convert LaTeX to Word.
>
> I do not, and never can, understand why publishing anything has to
> require Word. LaTeX/PDF is so much easier to work with and more
> beautiful.
>
> Google "pdf to word" and you might have some luck, e.g.http://www.pdftoword.com
>
> I would rather talk to a publisher that supports LaTeX like Springer,
> Chapman & Hall, ... instead of wasting time on the conversion.
>
> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie<xiey...@gmail.com>
> Phone: 206-667-4385 Web:http://yihui.name
> Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle
>

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jos� Luis Ca�adas
> <canada...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I just finished my postgraduade final work, and I need convert my lyx
>> document to word (to try publish that in a institution which needs word
>> documents). My lyx documents have a one master lyx document and 5 lyx child
>> documents with chunks of R code.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks

Horacio Narvaez-Mena

Feb 18, 2015, 10:54:24 PM2/18/15
to kn...@googlegroups.com
Try getting your pdf out of LyX and then open it in Adobe Pro and save it as Word. I have done it and works! I don't know if it will work for formulas though...