Important: We’re moving our support forums for KML and Google Earth API technical questions to Stack Overflow

Brendan Kenny

Feb 10, 2012, 3:09:24 PM2/10/12
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Geo developers,

Starting today, we will shift most of our efforts for supporting this community’s technical Q&A to Stack Overflow. We will retain the current Google Groups alias for non-technical discussions and general announcements that are not suitable for Stack Overflow.

Why we’re moving to Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is a valuable platform for technical Q&A, and we’ve noticed a significant trend toward it over the last year as more geo developers have turned to stackoverflow.com for answers.

Stack Overflow provides opportunities to expand the Google Earth/KML community, and we believe it will foster even greater engagement with the larger development community. Stack Overflow has many active experts in JavaScript and other technologies/programming languages relevant to our geo APIs and the use of KML. Questions here can often be answered by general experts, so we’re excited to be able to expose some of these questions to a wider pool of developers.

What’s next?
If you have technical questions about your Google Earth or KML work, please begin to ask questions on Stack Overflow. You can use the google-earth-plugin and kml tags –- along with tags like google-maps for questions about using KML with Google Maps and the Maps API –- which will ensure that geo experts can find your questions.

If you’re a long-time user and expert here, we would love it if you began to monitor tags and built up karma on Stack Overflow; we highly value the contributions you make to the community, and we want to make sure that your efforts continue to be recognized by us and the developer community at large.

We’re excited about the benefits and opportunities that Stack Overflow will afford our community and we look forward to providing continuing guidance and support.

Cheers,
Brendan

This conversation is locked