shp to kml converter

Odoakr

Jan 25, 2011, 1:58:13 PM1/25/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi!
I am looking for shp to kml converter. Almost everybody recomends
shp2kml
http://www.zonums.com/shp2kml.html

Unfortunately. It seams that that program is not avaiable anymore. Do
you have any recomendation what to use?

Rossko

Jan 25, 2011, 3:34:46 PM1/25/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
> Unfortunately. It seams that that program is not avaiable anymore. Do
> you have any recomendation what to use?

Found by Googling 'shp2kml download'
http://maplib.blogspot.com/2009/05/shp2kml-2.html

Odoakr

Jan 25, 2011, 4:56:47 PM1/25/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Thanks!
I have found it before I posted... Were you able to download that
softwere? I did not.

shannon9585

Jan 26, 2011, 12:43:38 PM1/26/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
I haven't been able to use the Zonums tool for a while now either.
I've even tried emailing the person who maintained that site, but
never got an answer. Do you use ArcGIS? If so, go to ESRI's website
and search for the "Export to KML" ArcScript. It's free and is the
best free tool I've found so far.
> > Found by Googling 'shp2kml download'http://maplib.blogspot.com/2009/05/shp2kml-2.html- Hide quoted text -

Rossko

Jan 26, 2011, 2:59:04 PM1/26/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
> I have found it before I posted... Were you able to download that
> softwere? I did not.

Yes. The link in that blog gave me a zip file.

E Schmidt

Jan 27, 2011, 1:42:06 PM1/27/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
I was able to get the zipfile, but the file contained within doesn't
work (it is expired). I too have tried contacting the individual that
developed this tool, but have not received a response yet. Here is
the ESRI link: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=B49A0775-1422-2418-34E1-EEA6DD9851BA

Rossko

Jan 27, 2011, 6:29:55 PM1/27/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
> I was able to get the zipfile, but the file contained within doesn't
> work (it is expired).

Yes. As it said in the blog http://maplib.blogspot.com/2009/05/shp2kml-2.html
you have to get around that by fiddling with your system clock.

Joe McCann

Jan 30, 2011, 1:21:56 AM1/30/11
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
A good commercial product that accomplishes this is called "Manifold System", but it'll cost ya a little cash.  Probably not worth it if you aren't interested in any of the other functionality.

Cheers,

Joe

E Schmidt

Feb 1, 2011, 12:32:28 PM2/1/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
I have been in touch with the developer of SHP2KML and despite his
extremely busy schedule, he has taken the time to update the code for
all of us. It is available here: http://zonums.com/shp2kml.html (same
URL as the beginning of this thread). Thanks Armando for doing this!

Josh L

Feb 2, 2011, 12:27:58 PM2/2/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Shp2Kml looks really nice and straightforward. I thought I'd point
out a couple other free options:

- GDAL (http://www.gdal.org/) ships with a command line tool
(ogr2ogr) that will convert amongst large variety of GIS formats.
Probably the easiest way to install GDAL on windows is using FWTools
(http://fwtools.maptools.org/). Once installed, you can run something
like this from the command line:
ogr2ogr -f KML input.shp output.kml

- You can also upload a shapefile to http://www.shpescape.com and it
will insert the data into Fusion Tables. From here you can get a KML
(and also do all the other cool analyses and visualizations that
Fusion Tables supports, such as Google Maps integration etc)

Cheers,

-Josh

FireHawk

Feb 4, 2011, 11:43:17 AM2/4/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Another way is to use ArcGIS Explorer 1500 (Newest version). Open the
shapefile, Right click on the layer that contains the shape, and
export to KML. AGX is a free tool for viewing GIS data from ESRI.
Give that one a try....

On Feb 2, 10:27 am, Josh L wrote:
> Shp2Kml looks really nice and straightforward.  I thought I'd point
> out a couple other free options:
>
>  - GDAL (http://www.gdal.org/) ships with a command line tool
> (ogr2ogr) that will convert amongst large variety of GIS formats.
> Probably the easiest way to install GDAL on windows is using FWTools
> (http://fwtools.maptools.org/).  Once installed, you can run something
> like this from the command line:
>     ogr2ogr -f KML input.shp output.kml
>
>  - You can also upload a shapefile tohttp://www.shpescape.comand it
> will insert the data into Fusion Tables.  From here you can get a KML
> (and also do all the other cool analyses and visualizations that
> Fusion Tables supports, such as Google Maps integration etc)
>
> Cheers,
>
>   -Josh
>
> On Feb 1, 9:32 am, E Schmidt wrote:
>

> > I have been in touch with the developer of SHP2KML and despite his
> > extremely busy schedule, he has taken the time to update the code for
> > all of us.  It is available here:http://zonums.com/shp2kml.html(same
> > URL as the beginning of this thread).  Thanks Armando for doing this!- Hide quoted text -

Simonbjohnson

Jan 31, 2011, 6:20:48 AM1/31/11
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Quantum GIS can do this for free.

http://qgis.org/

On Jan 25, 6:58 pm, Odoakr wrote:
> Hi!
> I am looking for shp to kml converter. Almost everybody recomends
> shp2kmlhttp://www.zonums.com/shp2kml.html

Inquiron

Oct 7, 2012, 5:06:32 AM10/7/12
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
You can try our free online converter - just drag and drop your zip file into the browser or select from a directory.  You don't need to download anything or use plug-ins but we recommend Google Chrome or Safari for better performance.

http://www.inquiron.com/online-file-converter/

Hope it's of help to you.

Johnny Oshika

Jan 17, 2013, 1:47:40 PM1/17/13
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Inquiron, thank you for providing this online file conversion service.  It's fantastic!

Inquiron

Feb 1, 2013, 8:45:11 AM2/1/13
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Johnny, more to come we hope and we're always open to feedback or requests on this.

Nicholas Baros

Jan 15, 2014, 1:46:37 PM1/15/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Does this not show attributes when they are not populated?