How to draw a circle

THEMISTOO

Mar 22, 2007, 5:08:13 PM3/22/07
to KML Discussions
Hi,

Very new at this-so sorry-but I've read many of the posts on the KML circle generator and even downloaded some free software from those posts--but......................

They seem to be stand alone software, are they supposed to be installed in Google Earth Pro itself as sort of a plugin?
Are they the KML circle genterator or if not where do I find it?
There was even one post that had a script-so how do you run a script in Google Earth Pro?

I'm trying to tell Google Earth Pro (4.0.2737) to draw a circle at my placemark to a certain radius (usually in feet).

Please be patient with me-I want to learn to run this program well and right. Perhaps there are some books out there that someone could direct me to for learning

Thanks for any help in advance.

simon_a

Mar 22, 2007, 5:22:22 PM3/22/07
to KML Discussions
Hello,

Welcome to the GE Community!

ink_polaroid created the KML Circle Generator - have a look at this thread:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/23634/page/vc/fpart/all/vc/1

Here's a direct link to it:
http://dev.bt23.org/keyhole/circlegen/

It's not a plug-in or stand alone application but a form on a webpage that generates a KML file, which you can download to GE.

Have a play and see how you get on...

(The are other options mentioned in that thead.)

Cheers,

Simon.

THEMISTOO

Mar 22, 2007, 5:59:30 PM3/22/07
to KML Discussions
Simon,

Thank you for the welcome and the good info.

Now I see why everyone was excited about the circle generator-it's fast.

But never in a million years would I have figured out that you enter the data on the web screen. Sure hope everything isn't this hidden.

After I had sent the post, I saw the KML samples and tutorials. I'll start reading there.

Thanks again for the wonderful help.

simon_a

Mar 22, 2007, 6:10:30 PM3/22/07
to KML Discussions
No problem - let's lots to learn with KML but it's a creative thing with immediate results and if you find it interesting, you'll have lots of fun!

KML is very comprehensive and there are many things that you can do with the code that you can see in GE but can't create or manipulate with the application. This is where external KML generation (manually editing text files, scripting KML code and using third party applications like the Circle Generator).

Spend some time looking round this community and you should find lots of help - and keep asking questions if you get stuck!

Simon.