How to add the KML or KMZ file in maps.google

Thomson George

Mar 9, 2015, 2:37:46 AM3/9/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone tell me is it possible to add the KML or KMZ file to maps google. My Internet Explorer version is 11

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Mar 9, 2015, 4:32:53 AM3/9/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
You can't KML support has been removed.

You can however import a KML file into My Maps mymaps.google.com into a layer on a map.

Or can make a map with the Google Maps API. Or even import a KML file into Fusion Tables.

Douglas Willett

Mar 9, 2015, 11:44:38 AM3/9/15
On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:37:46 AM UTC-4, Thomson George wrote:
> Can anyone tell me is it possible to add the KML or KMZ file to maps google. My Internet Explorer version is 11

But is it possible to add a ground overlay in any Google product? Also, why the big pullback from Google in supporting KML?

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Mar 9, 2015, 11:56:23 AM3/9/15
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com

But is it possible to add a ground overlay in any Google product?

Google Maps API does still support them. But not too well. Ground overlays in KML are expected to be unprojected, but Google Maps is usually mercator, there is only limited support for reprojecting such images.

 Also, why the big pullback from Google in supporting KML?

I guess, the people who created and support KML are slowly moving away from Google or just to different teams.

KML is simply old hat, and no longer sexy, so not much excitement from the new team members.