Parse Error Line 2, Column 0

Jonathan Sprague

Jan 3, 2012, 6:39:13 AM1/3/12
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hey Guys,

I am a university student and have been sent 2 .kml files from my
tutor to open using Google Earth. I downloaded google earth and have
tried to open both files but both come up with the Parse Error Line 2,
Column 0 error?!

I have tried to view them in notepad but when notepad opens it is
blank?

I have tried this both on my windows laptop and iMac.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jjay

Jason M

Jan 3, 2012, 12:08:13 PM1/3/12
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi,

Most likely the files got messed up in e-mail.

The KML file is simply a XML text file that conforms to the KML
standard.
You can hand-edit the file in any text editor then try again to open
it.

The beginning of the file should start with something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">
<Placemark>