KML Properties>View Tab>Date/Time Option?

Allen Peterson

Dec 9, 2014, 9:19:12 PM12/9/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello All
I'm hoping someone can help me out.
When you open the "Properties" option of a KML and KMZ, the “Edit” dialog box opens.  On the View Tab there is a Date/Time drop down that has None, Time Stamp, and Time Span options.  Does anyone know what these are used for?   It seems to me they should be used to Time Stamp a Date and Time to a KML or developing a Time Span, which I think would create a Time Slider for that KML or KMZ.  Or are they a “Jump To” tool used for analyzing KML’s and KMZ’s?   I’ve been searching the Internet and found plenty of “How To:” KML programing documentation for Time Stamp and Time Span, but no documentation for the GUI.
Thanks

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Dec 10, 2014, 2:31:25 PM12/10/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Its kind of confusing, but Google Earth does NOT have a way to edit the timestamp/span of an actual feature.

Google Earth can understand and display a time attached to a feature

but such things would have to be configured external to Google Earth (eg editing KML files directly)

--

The time option in the 'View' tab, is for setting a time for the <LookAt>
... which just set what the timestamp would be set when 'loading' the feature. Wont in itself cause the timeslider to appear.

I dont know why Google Earth has not added the option to set/edit the proper time values.

Jason M

Dec 11, 2014, 10:24:24 PM12/11/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
In addition to TimeStamp/TimeSpan not being editable in Google Earth a number of other KML tags are likewise not editable in the Google Earth client.
This is described in the KML Errata

Allen Peterson

Dec 12, 2014, 2:44:48 PM12/12/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
So I guess for now the option is usless?

Allen Peterson

Dec 12, 2014, 2:45:29 PM12/12/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Dec 12, 2014, 2:49:00 PM12/12/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Well its not completely useless.

But not apparently useful for you :)

Allen Peterson

Dec 14, 2014, 9:02:01 AM12/14/14
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
So could you give me an example of how I would use them?