KML in Google Maps - Size and Complexity Limits

Roman N

Oct 15, 2008, 4:07:25 AM10/15/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi all,

We've recently documented a summary of the *current* size and
complexity limitations of KML rendering in Google Maps at this URL:

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/mapsSupport.html

Please read over this page; if you are having any troubles with KML
rendering in Maps, they may be due to these current restrictions.

NOTE 1: We haven't actually changed any of the limits... we've just
documented them. So if your existing KML files have been working in
Maps without a problem, they will still work.

NOTE 2: The limitations may change in the future, as we are actively
working on improving both KML support and performance in Maps, as well
as all of our Geo products.

Thanks!
- Roman

barryhunter [KML Guru]

Oct 15, 2008, 5:15:02 AM10/15/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Excellent, thank you.

One question if I may (always want more!), when it says "Maximum
uncompressed file size (uncompressed KML or GeoRSS XML)" does that
imply that we could zip georss files (I with a kmz extension?) - or I
guess more likely its meaning via gzip compression (http content
encoding) ?

Roman N

Oct 15, 2008, 2:46:56 PM10/15/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi Barry,

Sorry for the confusion, the limit is:

10MB for:

1) GeoRSS (GZip not supported, can't be embedded in KMZ)
2) Raw KML
3) or KML extracted from a KMZ

I'll update the docs... thanks for pointing out the ambiguity!

- Roman

Roman N

Oct 15, 2008, 3:09:41 PM10/15/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Whoops, sorry,

GeoRSS = 3MB

I'll update the docs.
- Roman

boomerbubba

Oct 17, 2008, 12:17:06 PM10/17/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Thanks for this.

The documentation page says "This list does not apply to Google
Earth's export to Google Maps ..."

I am unaware of any such feature in Google Earth. Perhaps you know
something about this I don't? The only thing the "View in google
Maps" menu-bar icon does in my copy of Google Earth is invoke the
browser with a general URL to Google Maps at the appropriate location
and zoom level. No objects from Google Earth are exported.

Yet?

Roman N

Oct 20, 2008, 1:32:33 PM10/20/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi boomerbubba,

The Google Maps export the docs are referring to is 'File -> View in
Google Maps'.

- Roman

boomerbubba

Oct 20, 2008, 3:18:18 PM10/20/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Roman,

The File -> View in Google Maps' has the same functionality in Google
Earth as then icon on the menu bar I was talking about. They both just
invoke maps.google.com at a given lat/lon and zoom level in the URL.
Neither "exports" any KML at all.
> > > - Roman- Hide quoted text -

Roman N

Oct 20, 2008, 5:15:49 PM10/20/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi boomerbubba,

The only other export is via KML; sorry for the confusion.

- Roman

HugoDrx

Nov 4, 2008, 9:55:25 AM11/4/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi Roman,

Does this apply to Google Earth plugin as well or what are the limits
to how many points can be loaded into GE? I have found that I can
load about 14MB into the GE plugin, but depending on which computer I
am testing on, any more than that and many of the points will not be
properly rendered unless you zoom in to a subset.

And I suppose the best way to get around the problem of too many
points is to only display a portion of the points at higher zoom
levels, and if the user zooms closer, the complete number of markers
could be displayed for the region in view. Are there any plans to
implement something like that?

Thanks,

Hugo

Roman N

Nov 4, 2008, 6:52:04 PM11/4/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi Hugo,

These size and complexity limits are only relevant to Google Maps...
the Earth plugin has no explicitly defined limits.

As for the clustering/regionation--that's left up to the developer..
see the tutorial on regionation (and more specifically Region-based
Network Links) here:

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/regions.html

- Roman

Jim

Nov 21, 2008, 11:56:36 AM11/21/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
How about MyMaps limits?

KKLee

Nov 24, 2008, 11:30:09 PM11/24/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi Roman,

I would also like to know the size and complexity limitations of KML
rendering in Google Maps for mobile.

I have a sample KML in http://sites.google.com/site/kklee99/Home/cctv_e.kml
which has 119 placemarks. When I open the KML in Google Maps for
mobile, not all of them shows up and it depends on where my map
extent before the file is open.

KK

Roman N

Nov 25, 2008, 2:02:03 PM11/25/08
to KML Developer Support - Getting Started with KML
Hi KK, Jim,

I'll take a look at the limits for these products and update the page
when details is available.

Thanks,
- Roman

On Nov 24, 8:30 pm, KKLee wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> I would also like to know the size and complexity limitations of KML
> rendering in Google Maps for mobile.
>
> I have a sample KML inhttp://sites.google.com/site/kklee99/Home/cctv_e.kml

Deon

Sep 5, 2013, 7:20:48 AM9/5/13
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just want to find out, the KML limits discussed here do they apply to the customer having a business account as well.  Our company ran into a limit using KML files and we would like to find out  if purchasing a business account, would solve this problem.

Regards
Deon

barryhunter (KML Guru)

Sep 5, 2013, 7:41:53 AM9/5/13
to kml-support-g...@googlegroups.com
You would probably have to ask the business people to be sure,

but my understanding would be the limits are the same. Its more to browser limitations and performance, that artifical limits to promote business licence.

The is Maps Engine, or Fusion tables for that matter, which has MUCH higher limits but you import the KML into the system rather than render it live.