Passing on values with a post/submit page.

JC

Apr 2, 2016, 4:55:56 AM4/2/16
to kiwiirc
Me again.

I've been using CGI:IRC for years (which is getting outdated, not very mobile friendly), and using a simple form for users to enter their nickname, and automatically passing on the rest of the info/string/settings (not sure what it's called) to another server - see http://www.chat27.co.za/connectme/40something_login.php (view source to see what I mean)

Is there a way to do something similar with KiwiIRC, where a user only fills in their nickname, and the server, theme, etc is passed on via post string?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm a designer trying to be more independant of web IRC clients running on other networks' servers - Ubuntu, VPS, putty etc is all VERY new to me :)

Help/input appreciated.

Elephantman

Apr 2, 2016, 8:21:32 AM4/2/16
to JC, kiwiirc
Hi,

Kiwiirc doesn’t support POST for the time being. Would be a nice addition but there’s a bit of work.
You can do what you’re looking for with GET arguments and a plugin on the client side to catch them. By default, kiwiirc already supports « nick », « theme », channels and maybe a few others I dont remember of right now.

--
Elephantman

De : <kiw...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of JC <webma...@gmail.com>
Date : samedi 2 avril 2016 10:55
À : kiwiirc <kiw...@googlegroups.com>
Objet : [kiwiirc] Passing on values with a post/submit page.

JC

Apr 2, 2016, 9:48:37 AM4/2/16
to kiwiirc, webma...@gmail.com
Aha! Thanks for the info. Any chance of example files or documentation that would show me how that's done? I'm pushing my luck, I know :)

Darren

Apr 2, 2016, 11:23:20 AM4/2/16
to JC, kiwiirc
This would be a complete kiwiirc URL: http://example.com/kiwi/irc.server.com:+6697?nick=prawnsalad&encoding=ascii&theme=relaxed#channel
Not all parts are required, but a few notes:
    1. The /kiwi/ part of the URL depends on your config.js. Default is /kiwi/
    2. If you have the restrict_server* config options set in config.js, the server address is ignored.
    3. The channel must be last, as anything after # is read differently in the browser.

If you do specifically need POST instead of this format of URL, you can generate a PHP script that reads the POST vars and generates the kiwi URL, redirecting the browser to it.

Darren

JC

Apr 2, 2016, 11:31:23 AM4/2/16
to kiwiirc, webma...@gmail.com
Thank you thank you thank you Darren! This is an even better solution than I could have hoped for. This way I can rather load an iFrame with the URL formatting you show down here, without the need for an "intermediary" form page!!

kinghe...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2016, 12:11:07 PM4/2/16
to kiwiirc
Help me please

JC

Apr 3, 2016, 6:09:41 AM4/3/16
to kiwiirc, kinghe...@gmail.com
I think you're going to have to be a tad (or much) more specific regarding your requirement King Hendrick :)

On Saturday, 2 April 2016 18:11:07 UTC+2, kinghe...@gmail.com wrote:
Help me please