Rendering an .obj (maybe with ddd) and changing its orientation by sensor data

Martin Flecmart

Jun 10, 2015, 10:54:30 AM6/10/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi kivy users,

I plan a project that is about visualizing Skateboard tricks. I found out about the rotating monkey head example and the garden ddd widget. I am new to python and kivy, but I played around a bit and i like it very much... and I am also new to graphical programming... but not to programming generally. I am writing in here with the hope to gain some input or ideas, to find the right direction for my project.

My scenario:

  • I stream sensor data from an inertial sensor to my Kivy App
  • From this data I calculate a representation of the 3D orientation
  • The skateboard is rendered in 3D
  • The orientation is mapped to the rendered model (I don't know yet how this is gonna happen)

Where I need help:

  • I found and installed ddd, but I did not find out how to use it yet... after importing it I don't know really what to do next? I looked at the view.py example on Github, but it is more like a general example for me.
  • Do you have some advice where I could learn the basics for the 3d rendering? Maybe the 3D rotating head example?
  • Do you think the mapping of the orientation could be done with little graphical programming experience? I thought it could not be too hard to render one little skateboard model but I did not know yet about all the things you have to think about like vertex and fragment shaders...
I really hope this is possible in kivy because I think python and the cross plattform aproach of kivy are awesome and I have a prototype working for the data streaming on desktop and mobile now.

Thank you :-) Every opinion is appreciated.

Vignesh Durai

Jan 17, 2018, 11:34:02 AM1/17/18
to Kivy users support
hey
Martin Flecmart
Did you complete the project . iam too working with the kivy stuffs (3D rendering)..

Martin Flecmart

Jan 17, 2018, 12:45:11 PM1/17/18
to Kivy users support
hi vignesh

yes i completed the project... At the times I learned about rendering in kivy with this example https://github.com/TangibleDisplay/garden-ddd (look at the object_renderer class). You can make 3D models e.g. in blender and render them with the object renderer.

Good luck & greetings,
Martin

Vignesh Durai

Jan 17, 2018, 11:51:12 PM1/17/18