displaying PDF and database in Kivy app

Michał Łabuz

Aug 28, 2015, 5:38:47 AM8/28/15
to Kivy users support
Hi,

I have 2questions :)
1.is there any widget displaying PDF in my application? I have a lot of  big graphs saved as PDF and now I am opening them with external program(XPDF). Is there any way to display it in my app? these graphs are quite big( example in attachment) so PDF format suits the best for them.
2. is there any widget displaying database(sufix .db) in my application?

Best regards,
Michal
2011_1.pdf

ZenCODE

Aug 28, 2015, 7:25:45 AM8/28/15
to Kivy users support
1. There is no support for PDF as I know. Could you convert them to SVG? The latest Kivy 1.9 ships with (currently experimental) support, but it already work well for simple SVG's. That shuld give a small filesize with true vector rendering?
2. Kivy does ship with support for sqlite, and you can access others db engines if required. There is no real CRUD  widget as such, if that's what you're asking, but it's simple to make one if you need it.

Good luch

Michał Łabuz

Aug 28, 2015, 7:55:37 AM8/28/15
to Kivy users support
Thank you for answer.

I am newbie so I am sorry for silly question.

1. I have just converted my files into SVG and its ok but they are bigger. while pdf format was only 90kb then SVG is 270kb. what is name of this tool supporting SVG's ?
2. I dont know how to explain that. I have some databases on my disc which I open with sqliteman program. Now I want to open one of these databases in my application. Where can I find any help how to do that?

again I am if these questions are silly ;)

ZenCODE

Aug 28, 2015, 1:06:32 PM8/28/15
to Kivy users support

On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 1:55:37 PM UTC+2, Michał Łabuz wrote:
Thank you for answer.

I am newbie so I am sorry for silly question.

1. I have just converted my files into SVG and its ok but they are bigger. while pdf format was only 90kb then SVG is 270kb.

Yup. Size will vary depending on the conversion process. Some conversions include bitmap information, making them much bigger. If they are purely vector, theu should be significantly smaller. But yes, that may be a factor for you if you have very large resources in the generated svg...

what is name of this tool supporting SVG's ?
2. I dont know how to explain that. I have some databases on my disc which I open with sqliteman program. Now I want to open one of these databases in my application. Where can I find any help how to do that?

That's done using the standard python module. https://docs.python.org/2/library/sqlite3.html

Michał Łabuz

Aug 28, 2015, 3:54:28 PM8/28/15
to Kivy users support
Ok so I know everything what I need about SVG. Now I have last question about sqlite. I know that I can made a database just using Python and I already did it but thats not my question. I have a database and I want to open it with my GUI. So once again: I want to have opened database in my application(GUI). I attach screen of database and I want to have it inside my application. Is it possible?
Zrzut ekranu z 2015-08-28 21:39:35.png

ZenCODE

Aug 28, 2015, 5:23:34 PM8/28/15
to Kivy users support
Yes, very simple. Our app provides a GUI over the sqlite tables. It's just a matter of reading the data from the databases and poping in into labels, text inputs for editing, images for image data etc. The kivy widgets provide you with many beatiful ways to present all of the data :-)