Update Kivy VirtualBox VM Kivy v1.5.2-dev -> v1.9.0-dev

Olle

Jan 12, 2015, 6:44:39 AM1/12/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm trying to update Kivy in the virtual machine distribution.
I believe the current version installed in this VM is v1.5.2-dev, according to this command:
$ python -c "from kivy.app import App"
[INFO   ] Kivy v1.5.2-dev

I want to use the Window.softinput_mode = 'pan' from the kivy.core.window module. According to the documentation, this is what I need to pan the app away when using soft keyboard in Android. This module is not, from what i've read, available in version <1.9.0.

Im having the same error message about _event as this guy:
http://techamad.blogspot.se/2014/07/error-upgrading-to-kivy-180.html
And also this guy:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/kivy-users/Y9BbIzYcbnI

How can I safely update kivy to v1.9.0-dev?
This is what happens when I try to run make of fresh git clone:
http://pastebin.com/pYn17P0P

Ben Rousch

Jan 14, 2015, 6:25:15 AM1/14/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
The biggest problem wit the VM is that it is based on Ubuntu 12.10, which is no longer supported by Canonical. This means that the things you need to update to Kivy 1.9 are not available. I have a VM image based on Ubuntu 14.04 which should be easy to upgrade to master if you'd like to try it. https://db.tt/Gq8a5ejJ

Marc Holbrook

Jan 19, 2015, 6:40:13 AM1/19/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

Can that VM successfully build with Buildozer? If so, could I have a copy?

//Marc

Ben Rousch

Jan 19, 2015, 7:17:57 AM1/19/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
It is only for building with Buildozer. Just click the link in the original email for a copy.

John Fabiani

Jan 19, 2015, 9:53:52 PM1/19/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I  downloaded but my virtualbox will not import the disk image (produces an error - also tried uncompressing).  Are you sure it's working?
Johnf

Ben Rousch

Jan 19, 2015, 10:15:37 PM1/19/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
It works fine for me with VirtualBox 4.3.10. You just Import it as an appliance. When it's started, you can compile touchtracer:
Open terminal
cd touchtracer
buildozer --verbose android debug

If anyone needs it, the sudo password is 'kivy'

John Fabiani

Jan 20, 2015, 10:50:23 AM1/20/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Failed to import appliance /u/Downloads/Kivy Stable VM (Lubuntu 14.04).ova.
Could not create the imported medium '/u/Downloads/virtual_dir/Kivy Stable VM (Lubuntu 14.04)/Kivy Stable VM (Lubuntu 14.04)-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_ZIP_ERROR).

Johnf

Marc Holbrook

Jan 20, 2015, 10:51:49 AM1/20/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

Make sure that you have virtual box extensions installed.

EBKysko

Feb 20, 2015, 10:27:44 PM2/20/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this newer VM, and especially for:
  1. using LUbuntu (I'd rather avoid Unity);
  2. using the OVA format (can be imported by VMware users; will give error message at first, just click Retry to relax OVF specs).
Do note that the sudo password is "kivy123" (as for the older official VM), and not "kivy" as you said earlier.

(Using VMware WKS with its own vmtools (removed vbox tools), touchtracer test worked great.)