Printing on a Kivi windows program?

Olivier Trépanier-Desfossés

Jun 20, 2018, 3:54:22 PM6/20/18
to Kivy users support
Hello,

I have been searching everywhere for an answer to my question and could not find anything to help me out. My last resort is this forum.

First things first, I am new in the python world and a novice programmer that just came out of university, bear with me if I am asking something stupid or pretty basic.

My goal is to develop a windows program that will manage a database and generate on demand a summary of data with the option of printing this data. I am quite interested in Kivy because of its modern look and its cross-platform feature, but I found no information whatsoever on printing a document in a Kivy app. Before deciding on which framework I want to use to develop my app, I want to make sure that what I need to do with it is possible with the framework. Did anyone ever made a Kivy app use a printer? Do you guys think I can reach my goal while using Kivy?

I am a bit lost with how I should handle this printing problem. Should I use Kivy to generate a format that is printable and then use this in pair with another library to communicate with the printer? What are my options?

Thanks!

Olivier

James Moore

Jun 20, 2018, 4:26:23 PM6/20/18
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
My advice would be to look at other solutions for your printed output. It’s likely you’ll need a different design for what you print vs the UI you’re using onscreen. Perhaps a library like pyfpdf will do all you need for printing?

https://github.com/reingart/pyfpdf

ZenCODE

Jun 22, 2018, 9:04:50 AM6/22/18
to Kivy users support
For my 2c, we generate a pdf (much easier and more predictable), then open with the default app for pdf via. webbrowser.open(). Looking for printers is very platform specifc. Using a pdf generator e.g. reportlab gives you a great way to generate stuff that can be printed without having to worry about printers.