Music app written in kivy now uploaded to GooglePlay (soon App Store too)

Garrett Armstrong

Jun 26, 2015, 12:22:28 PM6/26/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
First:  thank you to the kivy community for helping me solve problems during development.  There were several roadblocks that you all helped clear.

I'm a nurse by profession, so programming was a completely new experience.  But i had a great idea for an app (and hope to maybe go into programming professionally), so i studied python and kivy to make this app.

The general idea is that any musical note is related to any other note by X number of octaves, Y number of perfect fifths, and Z number of major thirds.  This can be visualized by the Tonnetz, which is a centuries old concept.  My addition was to present the tonnetz on the tablet screen and allow the user to tap the notes to produce sound.  It's essentially a simple synth, with an interesting layout.

I made it a free download "Tonnetz Play" -- since it's a launching pad for new employment.  The source code is at github.com/GarrettArm.

I'd love to entertain any questions or comments.

Thanks again,
Garrett

Alexander Taylor

Jun 26, 2015, 12:34:41 PM6/26/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, garrett.w...@gmail.com
Congratulations, and nice app.

Since you didn't mention it, I'll note it is on the play store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.test.fromgit

Garrett Armstrong

Jun 26, 2015, 1:05:27 PM6/26/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
hahaha -- Thank you!  I'll never make for a saleman - if i'm always forgetting the product.

Paarth Tandon

Jun 27, 2015, 6:51:26 PM6/27/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Great app! Actually I am in the process of creating a game right now that is at its later phases. It is probably going to be released by the end of July. I have been working on it since January.
It looks like a lot of work has gone into your app. I am happy to see more newcomers like me on the forum as well. My app has also had a great benefit from it as well.

Mathieu Virbel

Jun 29, 2015, 7:28:02 AM6/29/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Be careful with your domain name of your package: org.test.fromgit. It doesn't really reference you, nor the product, and some user might not install it due to that. It cannot be changed after the app is published. :)