Kivy on Android with MP3 support

André MIRAS

Sep 19, 2016, 5:00:49 PM9/19/16
to Kivy users support
Hi,

It looks like the support for MP3 files on Kivy was dropped in https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/commit/cee53883a222041634853f6b1a47266cd5330f13 (line with SUPPORT_MP3_SMPEG), am I right?
If so, why is that ? Is it for licensing issues? It's confusing we don't have a commit message or a comment directly on the patch file that states so.
Even though I know I can still convert my files to OGG, is there a way around to play MP3 files on Android with Python?

Cheers,

GreyGnome

Sep 20, 2016, 6:44:27 PM9/20/16
to Kivy users support
*Gulp* Yes, if true this is terrible. Can it be so? I'm looking for as bruad of multimedia support as I can get. If this is the case, I'm quite disappointed.

Kovak

Sep 20, 2016, 8:43:36 PM9/20/16
to Kivy users support
It is configurable, it just is no longer the default since there are licensing issues around MP3. You can still set this option to True.

André MIRAS

Sep 21, 2016, 3:42:08 AM9/21/16
to Kivy users support
OK Kovak, but since this is a recipes we would have to fork it to enable the option isn't it?
At the moment I'm working on a custom Sound class implementation based on Android MediaPlayer class. It works OK so far.

ZenCODE

Sep 21, 2016, 8:21:44 AM9/21/16
to Kivy users support
@André MIRAS

Interesting. Does this bypass app switching issues? i.e. where the sound stops if you switch off the screen/switch to another app?

André MIRAS

Sep 21, 2016, 10:21:31 AM9/21/16
to Kivy users support
Yes it does.

Alexander Taylor

Sep 21, 2016, 12:37:44 PM9/21/16
to Kivy users support
Disabling this wasn't a conscious decision, I didn't notice it in the PR. However, there may be a reason for doing it, such as a problem with SDL2's android build (this is the reason for some other things being disabled), or a local dependency requirement.

If you find that setting this to true works, I don't see a reason not to enable it, or at least (if there really are licensing issues) to add a user toggle for it.

André MIRAS

Sep 21, 2016, 5:00:37 PM9/21/16
to Kivy users support
Thanks for clarifying Alexander.
I could verify what you said about build problems, since enabling it led me to linking errors :)
I could eventually make it work on my local installation. But since I'm quite new to SDL, python-for-android, recipes and all of that, it will take me a little bit of time before submitting a pull request.

André MIRAS

Sep 22, 2016, 8:41:11 AM9/22/16
to Kivy users support