make hook -> 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch

Bob Gailer

Apr 18, 2017, 11:00:03 AM4/18/17
to Kivy users support
Python 3.5.1; Windows 10. running cmd as administrator

at step: Install our pre-commit hook that ensures your code doesn’t violate our styleguide by executing make hook from the root directory of your clone.

How does one do that on windows?

ZenCODE

Apr 18, 2017, 12:30:24 PM4/18/17
to Kivy users support

Bob Gailer

Apr 18, 2017, 1:16:47 PM4/18/17
to Kivy users support
Yes. Thanks.

Installing msys is not a trivial task; there is some staring at screens and then making a guess .. and another and .. and eventually getting it.

We need to update the Kivy docs to include this gem. I am getting close to being able to do that.

ZenCODE

Apr 18, 2017, 1:55:32 PM4/18/17
to Kivy users support
Great. Thanks. If you could distill that leaning into a post, I'd love to add it to the docs:-)

Matthew Einhorn

Apr 18, 2017, 3:34:17 PM4/18/17
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't git for windows come with make (is that where you got git from)?

Alternatively, mingwpy comes with make (it's actually called mingw32-make, but you can make a copy of the file and rename it to make), which you can find under python/scripts. We probably shouldn't add instructions for installing msys2, other than maybe a link to their site because we probably don't want to be responsible for maintaining it.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:55 PM, ZenCODE <zenkey....@gmail.com> wrote:
Great. Thanks. If you could distill that leaning into a post, I'd love to add it to the docs:-)

Bob Gailer

Apr 19, 2017, 7:48:05 AM4/19/17
to Kivy users support
I did a search for 'git' and found 'git bash'. When I enter 'make' in that I get 'command not found'. What am I missing?
I did not find anything beginning with 'ming' in c:\python35\scripts!

That aside - please make sure that instructions are added to the Kivy Docs. I will be glad to help with that; just let me know.

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 3:34:17 PM UTC-4, matham wrote:
Doesn't git for windows come with make (is that where you got git from)?

Alternatively, mingwpy comes with make (it's actually called mingw32-make, but you can make a copy of the file and rename it to make), which you can find under python/scripts. We probably shouldn't add instructions for installing msys2, other than maybe a link to their site because we probably don't want to be responsible for maintaining it.
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:55 PM, ZenCODE <zenkey....@gmail.com> wrote:
Great. Thanks. If you could distill that leaning into a post, I'd love to add it to the docs:-)

Matthew Einhorn

Apr 19, 2017, 12:45:07 PM4/19/17
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if git comes with make, but you may just want to search for make in the folders that contain git.

About mingwpy, I forgot that you're not using python 3.5+, mingwpy doesn't support python 3.5+ so it's not there. I guess you do have to use msys2 for your setup.

However... you don't really need make. It's just that make is convenient if you have it. Instead, just look at the makefile and execute the instructions that e.g. make would normally do for your command. E.g. if you call just `make` to compile kivy. When you look at what make would do in this case (see the makefile), it calls `python setup.py build_ext --inplace`. So, just run this command and kivy will be compiled - no need for make :)

We should have a link to msys2 saying that it is an option, but I don't think we should go into too many details as we don't want to have to support people installing msys2, with *how* to use msys2.