Syphon/Spout integration

Marcin Panek

May 10, 2015, 7:04:26 AM5/10/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is it possible to integrate kivy with Spout/Syphon?

Syphon and it's version for Windows Spout are the method for sharing textures (frames) between aplications (http://syphon.v002.info/). It can be integrated among others with FreeFrame GL. Will it work with kivy?

I can help with integration but don't know where to start. It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Ryan Webber

Oct 1, 2015, 3:42:16 PM10/1/15
to Kivy users support
Spout information can be found at: http://spout.zeal.co/
I'm on Windows so this is huge for me.

Ryan Webber

Oct 1, 2015, 3:42:16 PM10/1/15
to Kivy users support
Just wanted to add that this is my #1 feature request (for python in general... but specifically for Kivy use)
This would be awesome for adding Python/Kivy as a tool for creative coding... allowing it to compete with Processing.

Ryan

Marcin Panek

Jan 22, 2016, 5:19:24 AM1/22/16
to Kivy users support
Any updates? @Ryan Webber

Ryan Webber

Nov 9, 2016, 10:53:37 AM11/9/16
to Kivy users support
no updates.

ZenCODE

Nov 9, 2016, 12:03:31 PM11/9/16
to Kivy users support
Sorry, but it seems (after a superficial investigation) to be based on Mac/Windows tech.

    "Syphon is an open source Mac OS X technology that allows applications to share frames"

    spout: Realtime video sharing framework for Windows

That lock-in is a bit of non-starter for a cross-platform framework. Plus there are plenty of free and open equivalents:-)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Streaming_Protocol

Of course, you can always still do it yourself, but core kivy priorities (I believe) are better spent elsewhere.