Kivy and Tensorflow question

Rich Williams

Dec 3, 2016, 5:54:19 PM12/3/16
to Kivy users support

 I created a Tensorflow image classification app in python 2.7 using Kivy and Pycharm. I used my own data to create a custom graph and labels file. The app works great and does what I want it to do. It took me months of learning and coding to get to this point. My last part of this "journey" has been trying to port the app to the android platform (I'd like to do Windows or a web app too -- but that does not seem to be a real option today . . .) I've created the Tensorflow Android Camera Demo app using Bazel and it worked fine on my Galaxy S5. However, after spending several long days searching all the references I could fine in Google searches, Packt (and other) books, and so on I am at an impasse.

I've sent this message to Stack Overflow and the resulting dialog was:

You probably need to make a Tensorflow recipe for python-for-android. I don't know what would be required for this. – inclement Nov 23 at 13:59

The issue I'm trying to resolve is how to create an Android (or other "stand alone" executable app) with the working project I created (in Pycharm). The basic problem is the import of tensorflow (in my python code), which isn't recognized when I try to build an app. So I guess my question might be restated to: How to I build my app using a method that will recognize and integrate Tensorflow (as an import) in the built app? – Rich Williams Nov 24 at 19:50

Tensorflow is a complicated module that will need compiling for the android environment, but I don't know what exactly needs doing or how it relates to the normal Tensorflow build. To make it work, you need to make a python-for-android recipe (python-for-android.readthedocs.io/en/latest/recipes) to tell python-for-android how to compile and include it in the APK. If you ask on the kivy support channels, we can help you try it, but I'm not aware of any preexisting Tensorflow recipe to work from. – inclement Nov 24 at 21:29

I'm absolutely certain that others will be interested in doing something similar to what I want to accomplish. So I'm reaching out to this group to see if anyone here has any helpful advice about creating a Tensorflow recipe to create Android apps that use Tensorflow. If so, I would really appreciate the help and am more that willing to share my limited experience with creating a Tensorflow python program using Kivy as a user interface.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

-- Rich