Kivy and 4K fullscreen performance

Dominique Burnand

Aug 17, 2016, 5:05:18 AM8/17/16
to Kivy users support
Hi,

I am experimenting with Kivy running on a resolution of 3840x2160 (4K).
This is running on a Intel i5-6400T CPU with integrated HD-Grahics 530: http://ark.intel.com/products/88187/Intel-Core-i5-6400T-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz
The OS is Kubuntu 16.04.1.

I am using the touchtracer-app for testing.
Running the application on 1920x1080 is fine (~ 77fps) but on about > 2000x2000 it gets laggy (40fps) when drawing a line with the mouse. Running the application in fullscreen (4K resolution) I get only about 37fps.
I used the tool "intel_gpu_top" to display the usage of the GPU. When running FullHD it is about 50% and using 4K it is 100% (as expected). http://jegger.ch/datapool/images/intel-gpu.png

I have used Kivy on multiple (older) integrated Intel GPU's in FullHD without any performance issues in the past - It seems like it is optimized for that resolution. How does that come? (coincidence?)

My general question is:
Is there a way to improve the performance on this hardware or is it just not capable to render fast enough at this high resolution?
Can you give me any hints on what specs I should keep an eye on? Are there any theoretical formulas with which I could calculate those specs? (for the needed hardware)

Thanks,
Jegger

Karla Muguerza

Aug 18, 2016, 2:25:07 PM8/18/16
to Kivy users support
Hi Jegger,

I have not used a 4K display, but we have used Kivy for different videowall configurations with resolutions of 3840x2160 (using 2x2 FullHD monitors) without any considerable lag. Could it be the integraded graphic card?

ZenCODE

Aug 18, 2016, 5:59:24 PM8/18/16
to Kivy users support
Yes, I suspect it is the graphics card. The test would be to see how it handles other games and animations? Is it not a general problem? If other animations and games are laggy, then you know it's not a kivy issue...

Dominique Burnand

Aug 19, 2016, 3:19:41 AM8/19/16
to Kivy users support
Thanks for your inputs.
@ZenCODE: Do you have any recommendations which games(animations) I could use for testing?
I tested the 3D-Game 0ad and I got ~ 11fps.
How does it come that Kivy performs so well on high-resolution mobile devices? Are those GPU's such strong horses?

Dominique Burnand

Aug 19, 2016, 4:19:25 AM8/19/16
to Kivy users support
=> At fullHD in 0ad I get 35fps.