Joystick 1.9.0

Ihor Bobalo

May 4, 2015, 1:58:47 PM5/4/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

I lost joystick support after upgrading to 1.9.0 on windows host :(

it looks like pygame is not used now and is not included into kivy distribution for windows in 1.9

and there are no documentation how to use SDL2 joystick support from kivy (if any)

any help?

Alexander Taylor

May 4, 2015, 2:40:43 PM5/4/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if we currently wrap joystick events, but feel free to open an issue on github about it, we certainly should.

You can use 1.9 with pygame if you build it yourself, but I don't know the details of doing so on windows.

qua non

May 4, 2015, 3:02:35 PM5/4/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

qua non

May 4, 2015, 3:09:40 PM5/4/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
SDL2 does have joystick support. How were you using it before? We do bind to joystick events in SDL2 where we didn't for pygame, I assume you are accessing the Joystick directly?

Look at docs on how to use it here

Message has been deleted

Ihor Bobalo

May 5, 2015, 2:17:27 AM5/5/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com

no, i use pygame:
try:

from pygame import joystick
    has_joystick
= True
except:
    has_joystick
= False

class JoystickAgregator:

def __init__(self, cfgs=None, slow_gain=0.25 ):

if has_joystick: joystick.init() # module_init
        # enumerate available joysticks, configure etc

and yes, i had found basic sdl2 events redirection in window code. but there are no docs (referenced doc is nothing extra to code) and no ways to enumerate connected joysticks, identify it and so on...

so. now i'm looking the way to install pygame to existing kivy 1.9 portable.

понеділок, 4 травня 2015 р. 22:09:40 UTC+3 користувач qua-non написав:

qua non

May 5, 2015, 4:59:00 AM5/5/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
You can install pygame ... just install pygame  and it's development libs for your OS yourself and compile kivy using USE_SDL2=0 which will force compilation using pygame.

I still recommend it would be better to open issues for the events, features you miss in kivy itself so that they can be added to kivy making their usage simpler, It's better to have such features in our lib directly so users can forget having to use underlying libs.

Would appreciate it if you could open issue/s on github.com/kivy/kivy/issues regarding this with details of what's missing.