Kivy in Motorsports

Brent Picasso

Nov 4, 2016, 5:20:43 PM11/4/16
to Kivy users support
Some of you are aware of our use of Kivy in motorsports - here's a demo of our 1.8.0 release, coming up:

https://youtu.be/V3cO3CyOD5E

We're close to releasing the RaceCapture app on iOS, completing support of 5 different platforms - Windows, OSX, Linux, Android and iOS.

Overall we've been very pleased with what we can get out of the Kivy framework. Now, if Python only had native threads! :)

-Brent

ZenCODE

Nov 5, 2016, 2:48:48 AM11/5/16
to Kivy users support
Wow, that looks fantastic! Beautiful job :-)

Mike

Nov 5, 2016, 10:50:16 PM11/5/16
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, awesome.

On 2016-11-04 14:20, Brent Picasso wrote:
> Now, if Python only had native threads! :)

Would be interested in where that is holding you back. Calculation heavy things
may be able to sidestep the GIL with Cython, correct?

Brent Picasso

Nov 6, 2016, 11:48:08 AM11/6/16
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

The biggest constraint is with the GIL we're only able to use one processor core; on desktop we can use multiprocessing, which provides some relief, but on Android / iOS we don't have access to multiprocessing.  We've had to step away from background tasks on Android since we don't enjoy that option on iOS.

nogil cython is our likely option for performance boosting in the future - we need to see if that will play well with sqlite, as that's the heaviest use of the processor outside of the main UI thread.

-Brent

Brent Picasso
Technology for Race and Street

Massimo Canonico