Installing Kivy Manually (No Package Managers) using Anaconda Python

Scott Mauceri

Jul 22, 2016, 12:36:55 PM7/22/16
to Kivy users support
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at the installation guides for Ubuntu and there only seems to be suggestions using apt-get and pip.  I've tried downloading the 1.9.1 tar and running "python setup install" so that kivy installs to my python installation of choice but I keep getting a slew of errors.

>> python setup.py install
Using distutils

Detected Cython version 0.23
NOTE: Not found GLES 2.0 headers at: ['/usr/include', '/usr/local/include']
      Please contact us if your distribution uses an alternative path for the headers.
Using this graphics system: OpenGL
WARNING: A problem occured while running pkg-config --libs --cflags gstreamer-1.0 (code 1)

Package gstreamer-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gstreamer-1.0.pc'
No package 'gstreamer-1.0' found

WARNING: A problem occured while running pkg-config --libs --cflags sdl2 SDL2_ttf SDL2_image SDL2_mixer (code 1)

Package sdl2 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sdl2.pc'
No package 'sdl2' found
Package SDL2_ttf was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_ttf.pc'
No package 'SDL2_ttf' found
Package SDL2_image was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_image.pc'
No package 'SDL2_image' found
Package SDL2_mixer was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `SDL2_mixer.pc'
No package 'SDL2_mixer' found

 anaconda2/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'setup_requires'
   warnings.warn(msg)
 anaconda2/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'dependency_links'
   warnings.warn(msg)
 anaconda2/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown distribution option: 'install_requires'
   warnings.warn(msg)
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
Build configuration is:
 * use_rpi = 0
 * use_mali = 0
 * use_egl = 0
 * use_opengl_es2 = 0
 * use_opengl_debug = 0
 * use_glew = 0
 * use_sdl2 = 0
 * use_ios = 0
 * use_mesagl = 0
 * use_x11 = 0
 * use_gstreamer = 0
 * use_avfoundation = 0
 * use_osx_frameworks = 0
 * debug_gl = 0
 * debug = False
Detected compiler is unix
skipping 'kivy/graphics/opengl.c' Cython extension (up-to-date)
building 'kivy.graphics.opengl' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/redacted/anaconda2/include/python2.7 -c kivy/graphics/opengl.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.7/kivy/graphics/opengl.o
In file included from kivy/graphics/opengl.c:266:0:
kivy/graphics/gl_redirect.h:43:22: fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

This is odd and I'm unsure of what to do next.  GCC is most definitely installed.  Basically, my kivy application makes use of many Anaconda libraries, and will be installed on a system that will never face the internet.  Does anybody have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?  I managed to install kivy using pip as outlined in the installation guide, but it installed to the system python version and not Anaconda.  Suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Scott