[ANN] Kivy/Buildozer VM 2.0 released

Mathieu Virbel

May 14, 2017, 10:36:58 AM5/14/17
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy-org
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, we're released a new fresh version of the Kivy/Buildozer VM. It is based on latest xubuntu, with dependencies necessary preinstalled for Buildozer.
It has been made for building APK for Android, not to run Kivy itself on the VM.

Everything that wasn't working before (not enough space, user not in vboxsf, guest tools outdated..) is solved.

You can grab a copy at https://kivy.org/#download (torrent preferred!)
Then just boot it, and double-click Buildozer on the Desktop to get started!

It can leverage the complexity of building an application for Android on any platform.
It doesn't support Python 3 by default yet, but you can make it working: buildozer is not ready to download and install Crystax NDK for you, so you have to do it manually for now. It will work later.

Also, for people who's asking which SDK/NDK works, the buildozer defaults are safe and works today (SDK 20, NDK 9c (13b works too)). Newer SDK may not works due to various issues (notifications API changed, python-for-android is not ready to support newer API yet // very latest SDK don't have the "android" command anymore replaced with "sdkmanager", so buildozer is completely lost.). For running a Kivy app, unless you use very latest specific API, you don't have to worry.

I wanted also to personnaly thanks Gabriel and Akshay for helping on this release and script.
The VM has been build with packer.io, and all the source are available at https://github.com/kivy/buildozer/tree/master/buildozer/tools/packer

Enjoy,

Mathieu

Trops Jupiter

May 24, 2017, 11:57:13 AM5/24/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There is a problem with the Kivy/Buildozer VM
When I start the new Kivy/Buildozer VM then it shows a login window for user kivy.
Can you tell me the password for the user kivy.
Or did I something wrong?

best regards

Screenshot_20170524_174608.png

Joey daniel darko

May 24, 2017, 3:19:18 PM5/24/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the great work..

Benjamin Garrard

May 26, 2017, 2:37:21 PM5/26/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
What is the password for the VM?  Please and Thank you.

Mark Melvin

May 26, 2017, 2:44:13 PM5/26/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
It used to be kivy123

tes...@luxeys.com

Jun 7, 2017, 3:40:14 AM6/7/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
just kivy work for me!

Der Achim

Jun 15, 2017, 2:49:07 PM6/15/17
to Kivy users support, kivy...@googlegroups.com, kivy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, 'kivy' is the user and 'kivy' is the password. It is not 'kivy123' anymore!
Non-US users should keep in mind that the standard keyboard layout is US english, so some keys might be swapped for them. E.g. on my german keyboard I have to enter 'kivz'...
Achim