Licensing help

Guilherme Wege

Feb 13, 2018, 7:18:54 PM2/13/18
to Kivy users support
Key guys, thanks to you I'm one step away from launching my first app on Google Play Store! The thing is, I have no idea how to license my app...

I know this is not a programming question, and i'm sorry if this question breaks any rules, but if you guys could point me to the right direction on this, I'd be really thankful.

From https://kivy.org/docs/guide/licensing.html, I read that I have to comply to third app modules that kivy depends on like docutils, pygments, sdl2. So I went to their websites to find out how these modules are licensed individually...

So each module has a different way of licensing it, some say we should paste text into our source code, some say we should put license files in the same folder of the module .so files. But it seems a bit confusing for a first timer like me.

I can't write text to my .py files, because buildozer turn them into .pyo. And if I'm to create LICENSE* files, I don't know how to do it (is there a default?). Would it be correct if I, for example, create a LICENSE_SDL2.txt file and paste the SDL2 license in it? Is it that simple?

Searching for help online Ive even found a third possible way to do it, which is creating an "about" screen in my app that has the description of the modules licenses. but I have to say I haven't seen no app with this screen to use as an example.

Thanks for your time.

Guilherme.

Alexander Taylor

Feb 16, 2018, 7:29:49 PM2/16/18
to Kivy users support
I don't really know the legal answer, but as far as I understand the copyright problem you should be fine just listing the dependencies and their licenses somewhere in your app. I don't think there are any very specific requirements for the format.

In case you haven't worked it out, the main dependency for a minimal Kivy app is sdl2, the other things (pygments, docutils etc.) aren't likely to be present unless you specifically included them and therefore know about it.

It's certainly a bit confusing, and frankly the reason it's hard to find examples is that most people don't really know the rules or how to interpret them. The other side of this is that a good faith effort on your part is unlikely to ever cause any issues, as far as I can tell.

Guilherme Wege

Feb 22, 2018, 9:01:13 PM2/22/18
to Kivy users support

Yeah, you're right, that was spot on.
I'll just create a couple screens to list those modules and their respective licenses. I'll be nice and it will show respect for the modules owners (they really deserve it).

Thanks again for your time!