scipy

romanog_dev

Jun 26, 2015, 8:18:21 PM6/26/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I am developing an App that involves solving sparse matrices on Android. Any hope for scipy being supported in kivy anytime soon?

Thanks,

Giuseppe

Alexander Taylor

Jun 27, 2015, 5:58:29 AM6/27/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, giuseppe...@gmail.com
I wouldn't anticipate us supporting scipy any time soon, I think the compilation of everything is hard. We already support numpy though, is that enough for you?

Giuseppe Romano

Jun 27, 2015, 11:35:54 AM6/27/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

thanks for your reply.

We are developing an App that solves differential equations on Android/iOs. Our matrices are pretty sparse and it would be great to take advantage of the sparse package in scipy. Our aim is to develop an interactive tool, hence computational time is important. Currently, we are using the numpy package for linear algebra, which of course is not as fast as scipy.

Best,

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

Alexander Taylor

Jun 27, 2015, 1:17:03 PM6/27/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, giuseppe...@gmail.com
I guess you'd need to try and work out how to compile scipy from scratch. I'm not familiar with its build process, maybe you can leave out the hard parts, though you'd probably have to patch some things.

Do you know if anyone else has got scipy working on android or ios? I'm not sure if the ipython stuff includes it. If so, it must be possible to do what you want and maybe you can use those efforts.

Giuseppe

Bill Janssen

Jun 30, 2015, 4:45:59 PM6/30/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com, giuseppe...@gmail.com
Well, one of the first things scipy wants when you compile it from scratch is a Fortran compiler.  Does gfortran cross-compile for Android already?

Bill
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to kivy-users+...@googlegroups.com.

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Romano

Jul 6, 2015, 3:39:12 PM7/6/15
to Bill Janssen, kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

thanks for your reply. It seems hard to compile scipy on Android. I think I will give a try to pysparse.

Giuseppe
--
Giuseppe