Re: [kivy-users] Kivy performance

Monia Dev.

Apr 22, 2015, 4:41:08 PM4/22/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Please, how do I stop Kivy TextInput from glitching?

It mistypes text automatically.

Pier Bover <pierb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Impressive!

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM, qua non <akshay...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you are looking for 2d games performance you might want to look at kivENT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aby7HzZcPik this was before recent performance fixes to it. Kovak/KivEnt · GitHub

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Pier Bover <pierb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unity and Adobe Air are not so good with video. When doing video projects I've had to resort to C++ frameworks such as OF and Cinder, which both have great performance, but tbh I'm not so comfortable with C++.

What about simple 2D stuff without video decoding? Has anyone done the famous Bunnymark for Kivy?

Bunnymark in Flash

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:36 AM, qua non <akshay...@gmail.com> wrote:
kivy allows you to get every frame as a texture, however this has a huge overhead cost,  for performance I would suggest using the ffmpeg backend for video, still expecting smooth 4k playback would highly depend on the kind of GPU, CPU you have in the machine. Compared to Unity/Adobe air I suspect they might be faster for video playback specifically, considering huge manpower behind these projects. Though there have been no proper benchmarks for this sections.

Depending on your needs though one might look into using overlays instead which would not give you access to textures. I personally don't have experience with this much but I would look into something like this http://www.intel.in/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/emgd-framebuffer-overlay-blending-paper.pdf.

Regards

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:31 AM, Pier Bover <pierb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm just discovering Kivy and it looks very promising for developing interactive stuff for museums.

So far I have been working with OpenFrameworks, Adobe Air, Unity, Cinder, Haxe, etc.

What kind of graphics performance performance can I expect from Kivy as compared to other frameworks I've listed? Are there any benchmarks or comparison done somewhere?

What about video? In a regular desktop machine should I be able to use a video as a texture and warp some mesh with that texture in realtime? What about playing a 4k video along multiple monitors in full screen?