Cheap hack for multiple windows.

Solecist

Mar 20, 2015, 2:39:52 AM3/20/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! I'm Sol!
*kinks* (:

I'm not sure if I should even post this here, or if that's okay ...
... but I don't know where else to post it.

Also please note that just three weeks ago started programming again ...
... and thanks to a friend picked python to do so.

Anyhow ...

In my need for seperate windows for my application,
I eventually came up with this solution:

https://github.com/Solecist/Multiple-Windows--Kivy-1.8.0

It's really more of a quick hack, but it works ... at least until it's frozen via PyInstaller --onefile.
I only tested it once and I will look into it to make it work somehow. ^_^

The main benefit of this way of doing it, at least that's what I hope,
is that I save a bit memory from the seperate imports (it's a few MB in the child process)
and the fact that it all gets imported into one file eventually.

The main process can easily control the windows of all it's child processes.

Well ... I hope this is usefull for some of you.
Thanks to multiprocessing and your programming skills,
it should be relatively easy to control the windows of other processes from the main one.

Please tell me what you think, but please spare my life ... (:

JetK

Mar 23, 2015, 10:33:53 PM3/23/15
to kivy-...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! Another way to have multiple windows (although skinning is different) is to add and use the wxPython module. PyInstaller does not break using it, so it works 100%. But yeah, it would be nicer to keep it all "Kivy" :)