Kilim can't work with Java7

Regis Xu

Sep 27, 2011, 12:52:24 PM9/27/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com
I tried to run Kilim weaved java7 class file, but got error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: Expecting a stackmap frame at branch target 28 in method test.Server.execute(Lkilim/Fiber;)V at offset 7
 at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2442)
 at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Class.java:2685)
 at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1620)
 at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.getMainMethod(LauncherHelper.java:484)
 at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:476)

Which mentioned ASM 3.3 may fix this issue, so I tried to upgrade asm used by kilim, but found asm API has changed
significant, with some dirty, quick changes  I could compile kilim with asm 3.3 successfully. Unfortunately, I got NPE during
weaving, the problem seems more complicated than I thought :(

Anyone have experience of running kilim on Java7?

BTW, using -XX:-UseSplitVerifier can work around this issue, but I still want to find some clean way to resolve it.

Greg Burd

Sep 29, 2011, 3:33:56 PM9/29/11
to kilimthreads
Regis,

Are you able to share your work? I'd like to see what it is you've
done to integrate ASM 3.3 and Kilim. I'm trying to use Java 7
(OpenJDK) as well with Erjang and Kilim so I'm facing the same issue.

thanks,

-greg

Kresten Krab Thorup

Sep 29, 2011, 4:56:22 PM9/29/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com
Here's a branch of kilim which (almost) works with asm-3.3.1; there are just a few of the unit tests failing. Perhaps someone can work from this?

Kresten

Mobile: + 45 2343 4626 | Skype: krestenkrabthorup | Twitter: @drkrab
Trifork A/S | Margrethepladsen 4 | DK- 8000 Aarhus C | Phone : +45 8732 8787 | www.trifork.com

Kresten Krab Thorup

Sep 29, 2011, 4:57:26 PM9/29/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I intended to include this link in the mail:

https://github.com/krestenkrab/kilim/tree/using-asm-3.3.1

Regis Xu

Oct 1, 2011, 1:28:48 AM10/1/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kresten.

Unfortunately even use asm 3.3.1 it still doesn't work, throws the same exception.

Kresten Krab Thorup

Oct 1, 2011, 3:16:42 AM10/1/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com, kilimt...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but 3.3.1 is at least capable of generating a stack map; question is how to enable it in the code.

Sent from my iPad

<https://github.com/krestenkrab/kilim/tree/using-asm-3.3.1> https://github.com/krestenkrab/kilim/tree/using-asm-3.3.1

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Kresten Krab Thorup wrote:

> Here's a branch of kilim which (almost) works with asm-3.3.1; there are just a few of the unit tests failing. Perhaps someone can work from this?
>
> Kresten
>

> Mobile: + 45 2343 4626 | Skype: krestenkrabthorup | Twitter: @drkrab
> Trifork A/S | Margrethepladsen 4 | DK- 8000 Aarhus C | Phone : +45 8732 8787 | <http://www.trifork.com> www.trifork.com<http://www.trifork.com>

Gregory Burd

Oct 2, 2011, 12:16:23 PM10/2/11
to kilimt...@googlegroups.com
I've forked kilim and updated it to use ASM 4.0_RC2 (in my
https://github.com/gburd/kilim repository, master branch). I'm
building it using Java 7 (openjdk version "1.7.0-b210" OpenJDK Runtime
Environment (build 1.7.0-b210-20110930) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
(build 21.0-b17, mixed mode) on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)).

Unfortunately I see the same unit tests failing as before (with 3.3.1
and Java 7), so that's my next focus. I'm *not* a kilim rock-star
(yet) so if anyone has hints/thoughts/ideas/guesses as to how these
tests might be failing or what may be the root cause it would help me
to learn from you.

When these tests work and ASM 4.0 is released I'll send the
kilim/kilim team a pull request with these changes, but not before
then.

thanks,

-greg