Khan Academy API usage in games

David Lai

Aug 28, 2014, 12:06:17 PM8/28/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm exploring the idea of incorporating Khan academy exercises in a game. For example, say I have an adventure game, and the student encounters the "Cave of Geometry".  In order to get in, he has to pass a geometry exercise from Khan academy.

I was wondering if there was a way I could load a Khan academy exercises into an iframe, then detect if the student was able to complete problems in the exercises, then through that be able to unlock achievements and points in my adventure game.

-David

David Azevedo

Aug 28, 2014, 12:10:56 PM8/28/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com

Hi i have done that in www.escola.org The iframe part i mean.

David Azevedo

Bill R

Aug 28, 2014, 9:57:11 PM8/28/14
to khanacademy...@googlegroups.com

I haven't used the API for perhaps two years and all the following information is based on that past experience. Beware because things may have changed.

I think all the information you would need was available through the API.

The information seemed to be very nearly real-time, although, IIRC, I think in testing a couple of times I caught a delay of at least a few seconds before stats fetched through the API reflected an action I had just completed (I vaguely recall seeing this with "hints" which were requested). I don't recall the details and it could have been "operator error". I don't recall ever seeing anything definitive about if the data was real-time or not.

Perhaps the docs have been updated, but some of the information I needed wasn't documented. Fortunately, things were named logically and I successfully guessed at them (looking at the source code may also be an option, but I never needed to go that far). I think these included 'user/studentlists' and 'user/students' and 'user/goals'.

There were a few cases where there seemed to be data inconsistencies over almost 900 students whose data I was munging. These students had, collectively, provided over 1M answers in the exercises so even if the system is still producing these, it seems unlikely that you would encounter any such problem if monitoring one student's progress for an hour or two.

As for the iframe, I've never tried that.