A short list of superlative introductions to Zen?

arthur

Nov 18, 2012, 2:36:55 PM11/18/12
to kent-...@googlegroups.com
A question arises as follows:

Does the Kent Zendo have a good short list of introductory reading to suggest to the "new folks" to the area?

Philip Kapleau's The Three Pillars of Zen (Anchor Books paperback editions 1980, 1989, 2000 [New York]) seems very useful for background and introduction to practice.

Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind (Weatherhill paperback editions 1973 or 1999 [New York]) seems an unbeatable beginning for queries.

Is there anything like a "Dogen for Dummies" to knock a mind onto a mat?

Best of the sunshine to sentient life--

arthur

Dec 5, 2012, 12:53:00 PM12/5/12
to kent-...@googlegroups.com

as a continuing quest --

Do other folks also like the following titles:

--  What the Buddha Taught  by Walpola Rahula  (paperback:  1974 revised edition from Grove Press)?

--  The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching  by Thich Nhat Hanh  (paperback:  1999 by Broadway Books)?

David Pratt

Dec 5, 2012, 12:57:35 PM12/5/12
to kent-...@googlegroups.com
I have definitely enjoyed What the Buddha Taught, and I'm glad you brought it up. I need to read it again.

David Pratt, B.A., L.M.T.
Co-Owner of True Nature Holistic Retreats

6721 Township Road 319
Millersburg, OH 44654