Feature questions / suggestions

Richard B. Emerson

Oct 31, 2017, 12:46:34 PM10/31/17
to kellermeiste...@googlegroups.com
Does Kellermeister support numeric scoring? Using 0 to 5 five glasses, even with the half glasses in between, isn't as precise as I want. The 00-99 scale offers that flexibility.

(FWIW, Wine Spectator magazine divides scores:
100-95 - Classic
94-90 - Outstanding
89-85 - Very good
84-80 - Good
79-75 - Mediocre
74...   - Pipi de chat... OK, my term)

Some wines are estate bottled and some aren't. Adding an estate flag (checked if an estate wine?) would help in locating them in a database. At the moment I put ESTATE in the comments, but that seems somewhat awkward.

In some cases, a wine is added because it was recommended but not tasted. In some cases, it was been tried at a Weinfest, or a tasting room, or at a restaurant, or a friend supplied it, or (surprise!) at home. At least a "I drank this" flag would be a help for searches. Diversifying with tasting, Weinfest, restaurant, friend, home would be nice.

Cheers
Rick Emerson

Jürgen Jatzkowski

Oct 31, 2017, 1:18:40 PM10/31/17
to kellermeiste...@googlegroups.com
Numeric scoring as described by you is currently not supported. But, of course I can put it on the roadmap for one of the next releases. The current simple implementation allows for 10 steps (10 half glasses) so the numeric scoring would be a good improvement.

I was wondering all the years why nobody asked about this feature - now I got two requests for this in the last two months. Seems to be a good candidate for the release after the next release.

@estate, i drank this: I am using the cellar concept for this: going to a wine tasting or a Weinfest I create a cellar and name it e.g. Weinfest, 21.10.2017. Then I put all the wine I tasted there into this cellar. Same with wine I am interested in but did not purchase. So I can quickly access the information. In the case of a wine tasting a cellar can hold contact information of the wine shop (ok, this is the new "supplier" feature) so that I can send a purchase order right out of the app to the wine shop.

Thanks for the good discussion.

juergen jatzkowski
jjatz...@googlemail.com

Richard B. Emerson

Oct 31, 2017, 1:46:08 PM10/31/17
to kellermeiste...@googlegroups.com
Bitte, bitte!

Regarding the separate cellars... During tastings, I'll score any of the wines in the tasting flight or, possibly, wines tried elsewhere. Some might be worth recording for... what? recording's sake? Some will get into my "if I see this again, in a store, I might buy it" list. Some of the wines I tasted were bought directly at the winery. The "if I see it again" wines can, of course be moved from cellar to cellar as needed. But the source for the wine (as listed in my last note) is lost or not easily searched for.

- - -

At the risk of repeating the obvious, at least here in the US, there are tasting rooms (usually at a winery). For a fee (typically $5 but in California $15-$25 is common) a flight of 4-6 (we found a flight of 10 for $10 - silly, really) is served. The amount is roughly 1-2 cm in the glass. Of course the amount varies, but full glasses are not served at tastings. This is still enough to get a sense of nose, palate, feel, etc.. My wife and I usually share the glasses. We both learn about the wine, and neither is rendered totally ...uh... legless. We've never, in our very limited experience, encountered spitting (taste, dispose of). We have, occasionally, disposed of the remains of glass in a "dump bucket" but that's as close as we've come have seen.. For anyone curious about the details, please contact me off-list.

Cheers
Rick Emerson