How to clean off the hair spray!?

Sharon Mehl

Apr 14, 2015, 6:12:23 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
I have tried hot water and soap ... Windex ... another window type cleaner and it won't all come off. How do you get it clean?

I got it as clean as I could but it's not "clean" and my PLA will not stick to the bed now.   :-(

Ideas?

Thanks

Sharon

Luis E. Rodriguez

Apr 14, 2015, 6:22:04 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
Acetone? I print PLA one clean, bare, level glass. Occasionally with a glue stick. Brim sometimes too.

Sharon Mehl

Apr 14, 2015, 6:28:16 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
I was printing with PETG with the hair spray .... but it was jamming after 3+ hours of printing. Will have to find out why after I get my homework done ...not sure if the filament is inconsistent in size or if there is another issue. At this rate my Tardis won't ever get finished ...  that was I think the 4th try (first was lifting ... rest stopped extruding).

So I thought I would switch projects and print in PLA ... then couldn't get the glass clean.

Need to buy 2 boro glass beds...but Tom ran out ... want them to fit the WHOLE platform if possible.

I'll try acetone ... thanks Luis.

Thanks!

Sharon Mehl
Add me on LinkedIn:

Bryan Boettcher

Apr 14, 2015, 9:14:40 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
Hot water and scrubby pad has always worked for me.  Hairspray will last a LONG time if you keep your fingers off the bed, by the way.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Apr 14, 2015, 9:24:33 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
I have to admit I have never tried it. I will have to see what hubbub is all about.

Sharon Mehl

Apr 14, 2015, 9:28:41 PM4/14/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
Problem is I only have one printbed ... and wanted to change to PLA ...and the opposite side of the print bed has a divot out of it...

Thanks!

Sharon Mehl
Add me on LinkedIn:

tim middleton

Apr 15, 2015, 12:30:09 AM4/15/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com, Tom
Sharon
Try a razor blade and water for hairspay removal
the water keeps the dust from flying away and the razor is okay against the glass cause the ONI pirex glass is tough.

Tim

Sharon Mehl

Apr 15, 2015, 12:38:10 AM4/15/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim!  I was thinking I needed to print a razor blade holder so I could scrape off prints. This will give me another use for it.

Bryan Boettcher

Apr 15, 2015, 1:23:15 AM4/15/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
You don't need to scrape prints with hairspray.  Just cool to room temperature and tap them ... especially ABS.  ABS will usually be loose on the bed by room temperature.

tim middleton

Apr 15, 2015, 1:48:25 AM4/15/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com

Just to be clear you are asking about cleaning the glass after a print has been removed and you want clean glass again...  You should not be worried about having hairspray on the printed part...

ALSO  DANGER... do not use a razor blade to remove prints from the glass...

Sharon Mehl

Apr 22, 2015, 12:27:37 AM4/22/15
to kc-fabr...@googlegroups.com
Yes...was asking about cleaning the glass once print is gone...and want to start printing in PLA for example.

Why the danger warning? slip and cut myself or something else?

...sorry for late reply...was in the middle of a verbal group presentation, a "culture analysis of CCCKC" and a final! blech at least that is over and I am almost without classes until May 3

Thanks!

Sharon Mehl
Add me on LinkedIn: