[VOTE] 1.1.0 RC4

Rajini Sivaram

Mar 23, 2018, 7:37:26 PM3/23/18
to dev, Users, kafka-clients
Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the fifth candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.1.0.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=75957546

A few highlights:

* Significant Controller improvements (much faster and session expiration edge cases fixed)
* Data balancing across log directories (JBOD)
* More efficient replication when the number of partitions is large
* Dynamic Broker Configs
* Delegation tokens (KIP-48)
* Kafka Streams API improvements (KIP-205 / 210 / 220 / 224 / 239)

Release notes for the 1.1.0 release:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-1.1.0-rc4/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday March 27th 4pm PT.

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-1.1.0-rc4/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-1.1.0-rc4/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 1.1 branch) is the 1.1.0 tag:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/1.1.0-rc4

* Documentation:

http://kafka.apache.org/11/documentation.html

* Protocol:

http://kafka.apache.org/11/protocol.html

Thanks,

Rajini

Rajini Sivaram

Mar 27, 2018, 9:22:09 AM3/27/18
to dev, Users, kafka-clients
Can we get some more votes for this RC so that the release can be rolled out soon?

Many thanks,

Rajini

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Ted Yu <yuzh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wasn't able to reproduce the test failure when it is run alone.

This seems to be flaky test.

+1 from me.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Rajini Sivaram <rajini...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> Thank you for testing the RC. I haven't been able to recreate that failure
> after running the test a 100 times. Was it a one-off transient failure or
> does it fail consistently for you?
>

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 2:51 AM, Ted Yu <yuzh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I ran test suite, I got one failure:
> >
> > kafka.api.PlaintextConsumerTest > testAsyncCommit FAILED
> >     java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<5> but was:<1>
> >         at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
> >         at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:834)
> >         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:645)
> >         at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:631)
> >         at
> > kafka.api.BaseConsumerTest.awaitCommitCallback(
> BaseConsumerTest.scala:214)
> >         at
> > kafka.api.PlaintextConsumerTest.testAsyncCommit(
> > PlaintextConsumerTest.scala:513)
> >
> > Not sure if anyone else saw similar error.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Rajini Sivaram <rajini...@gmail.com

Jason Gustafson

Mar 27, 2018, 11:45:00 AM3/27/18
to d...@kafka.apache.org, Users, kafka-clients
+1 Went through the quickstart, checked upgrade documentation. Thanks Rajini!

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Manikumar <manikum...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

- Verified src, binary artifacts and basic quick start
- Verified delegation token operations and docs
- Verified dynamic broker configuration and docs.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:52 PM, Rajini Sivaram <rajini...@gmail.com>
> --
> msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB3_6Eyr9knQZ6Sg%2BqyDbAizyqTNcbR%
> 3D7R_%2BA%2BD8c_VWeKg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAOJcB3_6Eyr9knQZ6Sg%2BqyDbAizyqTNcbR%3D7R_%2BA%2BD8c_VWeKg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Jun Rao

Mar 27, 2018, 4:28:54 PM3/27/18
to Rajini Sivaram, dev, Users, kafka-clients
Hi, Rajini,

Thanks for running the release. Verified quickstart on scala 2.11 binary.  +1

Jun

Rajini Sivaram

Mar 28, 2018, 5:20:17 AM3/28/18
to Users, dev, kafka-clients
This vote passes with 9 +1 votes (4 bindings) and no 0 or -1 votes.

+1 votes
PMC Members:
* Jason Gustafson
* Jun Rao
* Gwen Shapira
* Rajini Sivaram

Committers:
* No votes

Community:
* Ted Yu
* Manikumar
* Jeff Chao
* Vahid Hashemian
* Brett Rann

0 votes
* No votes

-1 votes
* No votes

Vote thread:
https://markmail.org/message/trlhjyebmidsamuu

I'll continue with the release process and the release announcement will follow.

Thanks,

Rajini

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 6:34 AM, Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> wrote:
+1

Checked keys, built, ran quickstart. LGTM.

wrote:

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent