ksadmin error

Michelle Russell

Jun 3, 2013, 12:41:13 PM6/3/13
to Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Just thought I would see if anyone knows a solution...
We have iMacs running Snow Leopard.  The machines are managed.  Chrome will not run on the student account.  (Students do not have administrative access.)  We get a Fix ksadmin error

When we Google the error, there doesn't seem to be a fix.  Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

Michelle Russell
Technology Integration Coach
Lincoln Middle School
700 W. Lincoln Street
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
(847) 394-7350 x5070
mrus...@d57.org
All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the Acceptable Use Policies of District 57, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.  Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Mount Prospect School District 57.

Sharon Plante

Jun 3, 2013, 12:42:40 PM6/3/13
to Michelle Russell, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Love to know this answer, I have the same issue.  I got chrome to run by having it open at login, for reason that works.

Sharon

Sharon Plante
Director of Technology
Eagle Hill-Southport
214 Main Street
Southport, CT 06890
spl...@eaglehillsouthport.org
@iplante
@EHSSouthport

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Apps K12 Technical Forum" group.

Joel Lowsky

Jun 3, 2013, 2:55:36 PM6/3/13
to Sharon Plante, Michelle Russell, Google Apps K12 Technical Forum
Hi Sharon and Michelle,

Aside from being a massive pain in the butt, ksadmin is a part of Chrome involved in automatic updating.

We manage Macs with managed preferences via workgroup manager, but I couldn't for the life of me find a way to whitelist ksadmin.  So you know what I did?  I deleted all the ksadmins from every student account.  (If you are using shared accounts, then you can delete ksadmin from those accounts).

Pros: ksadmin messages go away
Cons: Chrome doesn't self-update (and that's not necessarily a bad thing!)  Some people might not consider this part an acceptable downside.

Here's the secret:

Delete the file in (path below, at the user level, user in this case is "treetops"), using ARD for local machines.  Or, for network-homed users, use Spotlight or FindAnyFile on the OS X server, search for ksadmin, and delete them all.

sudo rm -f /Users/treetops/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ksadmin

Hope this helps.

Joel

--
Joel Lowsky