Icon

Mick Murphy

Jan 4, 2018, 10:11:10 AM1/4/18
to K-9 Mail
Please revert back to the original K9 icon, the new one has no Identity like the last one. It's just a big red envelope !

Daily K9 user

Jan 5, 2018, 10:04:17 PM1/5/18
to K-9 Mail
The old icon was the Dr Who K9. First thing my wife asked after the update was where is K9. Please for the wife factor, restore the old icon.

Gordon Parkinson

Jan 6, 2018, 8:50:29 AM1/6/18
to K-9 Mail
Agreed. The older Dr Who icon had an instant recognisability factor which made it stand out. The new icon is flat and cold. It lacks definition and character. Please restore the old icon.

Rob Sharp

Jan 6, 2018, 9:50:03 AM1/6/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
It was removed for a reason, and since it doesn't affect functionality at all I doubt it'll be replaced.

Ian Evans

Jan 6, 2018, 2:46:09 PM1/6/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 6, 2018 9:49 AM, "Rob Sharp" <r...@boringbutgood.com> wrote:
It was removed for a reason, and since it doesn't affect functionality at all I doubt it'll be replaced.

Just curious what the reason is.

Mathguy

Jan 6, 2018, 2:59:29 PM1/6/18
to K-9 Mail
Copyright infringement.

cketti

Jan 7, 2018, 4:24:19 PM1/7/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On 06.01.2018 20:59, Mathguy wrote:
> Copyright infringement.

Please don't speculate and make it sound like it's a fact.
Nobody asked us to change the icon because of copyright infringement.

rolan...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2018, 12:11:54 PM1/8/18
to K-9 Mail
Hello, it's the first time I come on this forum and I will begin with a big THANK YOU to those who made K9-mail the neat program it is !
The reason why I'm here ?
I wanted to know if I am the only one thinking the new K9 icon is really ugly !
And I see I'm not alone !
I also would like to have the "old" one back, because the new one is so much "abstract" that no one sees what it's meaning is.

Best regards from France,
Roland

Michael K

Jan 17, 2018, 11:13:15 AM1/17/18
to K-9 Mail
I do not like neither the old nor the new icon.

I want to have an envelope (like all other e-mail apps), perhaps with a dog on it.

Micha

Rabid Mutant

Jan 17, 2018, 9:38:49 PM1/17/18
to K-9 Mail
I and my partner both really dislike the new icon; I can understand the retro look of the old one probably made no sense to other people and this might be a marketing push.

Is there any chance you could add a widget with the old icon for those of us old enough to love it? Ideally, of course, just restore the old icon ... it's good quality branding, IMO.

David W. Jones

Jan 17, 2018, 10:13:56 PM1/17/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Well, in my opinion, the old icon looked like it had been drawn in Microsoft Paint by an amateur about 20 years ago, the new icon looks professional quality, and the big red envelope states clearly that K-9 is a MAIL app ... but whatever floats your boat.

On January 17, 2018 4:38:49 PM HST, Rabid Mutant <rabidmuta...@gmail.com> wrote:
I and my partner both really dislike the new icon; I can understand the retro look of the old one probably made no sense to other people and this might be a marketing push.

Is there any chance you could add a widget with the old icon for those of us old enough to love it? Ideally, of course, just restore the old icon ... it's good quality branding, IMO.

David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail.

Rabid Mutant

Jan 17, 2018, 10:18:54 PM1/17/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On 18 Jan. 2018 14:13, "David W. Jones" <gnome...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, in my opinion, the old icon looked like it had been drawn in Microsoft Paint by an amateur about 20 years ago,

I dont mind if the icon is updated,  so long as it remains K9. Also, as i said, i can understand the desire for a more directly relevant icon, which is why i suggested the widget for die hards like myself. My boat would remain adequately afloat under either circumatance.

Rabid Mutant

Jan 17, 2018, 10:25:26 PM1/17/18
to K-9 Mail
On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 1:38:49 PM UTC+11, Rabid Mutant wrote:
...you could add a widget with the old icon...

In retrospect, it probably also requires a user-selectable theme to replace the new icon in all the activities. Happy to do the bulk of the work, if that helps...

David W. Jones

Jan 18, 2018, 2:38:45 AM1/18/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
On 01/17/2018 05:18 PM, Rabid Mutant wrote:
> On 18 Jan. 2018 14:13, "David W. Jones" wrote:
>
> Well, in my opinion, the old icon looked like it had been drawn in
> Microsoft Paint by an amateur about 20 years ago,
>
> I dont mind if the icon is updated,  so long as it remains K9. Also, as
> i said, i can understand the desire for a more directly relevant icon,
> which is why i suggested the widget for die hards like myself. My boat
> would remain adequately afloat under either circumatance.

Excellent!

Does Android provide mechanisms by which app users can change the main
icon an app uses?

Rabid Mutant

Jan 18, 2018, 2:44:25 AM1/18/18
to K-9 Mail

Excellent!

Does Android provide mechanisms by which app users can change the main
icon an app uses?

I don't think so; but the Widget suggestions would side-step that problem. The app would define a widget that just starts the app; it set's the icon for that widget to the classic icon.

Rabid Mutant

Jan 18, 2018, 2:47:55 AM1/18/18
to K-9 Mail
I think this would also be a trivial thing to do, because they already define a widget to show number of emails.

David W. Jones

Jan 18, 2018, 4:24:04 AM1/18/18
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Would that also change the icon shown inside K-9?

David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com
wandering the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Rabid Mutant

Jan 18, 2018, 5:12:45 AM1/18/18
to K-9 Mail

Would that also change the icon shown inside K-9?

That's why I subsequently suggested a user-selectable theme would also be needed. This is also relatively simple to implement.

bitumin...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 4:23:17 PM1/18/18
to K-9 Mail
...maybe if it wasn't so big and red, and had grace, style, and character instead of just shouting "EMAIL" like the google icon?

I miss the old icon. I used to make small, ritual sacrifices to it, to insure K9 always worked