How to protect entrance of k9mail? email accounts passwords encrypted?

bxst...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 22, 2014, 9:53:18 AM7/22/14
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
When I setup a new account in k9mail then I have to enter the password for remote email server as well.

Is this password stored in Android in an encryted form?
In which file is the password stored exactly?

I want to protect the k9mail App at least in a simple form.

So I want k9mail to prompt me at App startup for an k9mail password to get access to the account setup and existing messages on my smartphone.
After a while of inactivity (e.g. 10 minutes) k9mail should auto-close itself.

Is there such a feature in k9mail?

Ben

Francesco L.

Jul 23, 2014, 3:42:02 PM7/23/14
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Well as far as I know there's no such a protection. If I understand well your question, you mean a password protected access that would shield the area where mail password is stored, right?

bxst...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 24, 2014, 3:11:04 AM7/24/14
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
correct

I am surprised. This feature should be normal nowadays. On windows 7 all email clients can be password protected.

Why not Android email Apps?

notlisted notlisted

Sep 3, 2015, 6:30:53 PM9/3/15
to K-9 Mail
I was surprised too. Apparently my password has been sitting on my phone for the last year under super secret base64 encoding which is sooo difficult to crack, one only needs to google base64 decoder and... done. I don't understand how anyone would continue using this app after learning this.