With email forwarding: How to change senders email address

Zig Zing

Jul 20, 2015, 12:16:00 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I have a parked domain, let's call it xyz.com

Email forwarding is set up on that domain to forward emails from ch...@xyz.com to my ISP at chri...@orange.com

My emails are retrieved from chri...@orange.com  no problem.

What is the problem, is the emails I send, show the sender (me) as chri...@orange.com (where the email client is getting them emails from)

How can I change the emails I send, to show my correct published email address, which is chris@xyz.com  Not my temporary email forwarding address, chri...@orange.com?

In other words, how do I display a different sender's email address the the where the emails are collected?.

Outlook on the PC makes it easy to do this.

Thanks, Chris

Richard

Jul 20, 2015, 12:25:01 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

> I have a parked domain, let's call it xyz.com
>
> Email forwarding is set up on that domain to forward emails from
> ch...@xyz.com to my ISP at chri...@orange.com
>
> My emails are retrieved from chri...@orange.com no problem.
>
> What is the problem, is the emails I send, show the sender (me) as
> chri...@orange.com (where the email client is getting them
> emails from)
>
> How can I change the emails I send, to show my correct published
> email address, which is ch...@xyz.com Not my temporary email
> forwarding address, chri...@orange.com?
>
> In other words, how do I display a different sender's email
> address the the where the emails are collected?.
>
> Outlook on the PC makes it easy to do this.
>
> Thanks, Chris

There are at least two ways to do this with K-9. The first/easiest
is to set the "your email address" field on the account:

- [account] settings
- sending mail
- composition defaults
- your email address

This field/value is different from what is used in the server
configurations for retrieving and sending mail.

Another, would be to set up an "identity", but you'd have to
remember to set it with every message.

Zig Zing

Jul 20, 2015, 1:42:08 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com, lists-...@listmail.innovate.net
Richard,
That worked perfectly.  Thank you!
Supplementary question:
For most emails I will want to reply as ch...@xyz.com, (now set-up) but occasionally I may want to reply as sup...@xyz.com
Is there an easy way to change/override the senders name, on a email by email basis?  Without changing the default?

Thanks,  Chris

Richard

Jul 20, 2015, 1:51:07 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
You can use an "identity" for that. To set these up, go to:

- [account] settings
- sending mail
- manage identities
-- use the "menu" button (three horizontal dots) for the
"new identity" option

- when sending a message you can pull down the sender field
and will see a list of the identities that are available

> Is there an easy way to change/override the senders name, on a
> email by email basis? Without changing the default?
>
> Thanks, Chris
>

> On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:25:01 PM UTC+2, Richard wrote:

------------ End Original Message ------------

Zig Zing

Jul 20, 2015, 4:21:15 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
Richard thanks,

Clearly K9 has the features I need, it's just a shame it looks a bit old-fashioned.

Do you know if there any plans to update the appearance any time soon?

Thanks again, Chris

Richard

Jul 20, 2015, 5:53:34 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com

> Date: Monday, July 20, 2015 01:21:15 PM -0700
> From: Zig Zing <zigzi...@gmail.com>
>
> Richard thanks,
>
> Clearly K9 has the features I need, it's just a shame it looks a
> bit old-fashioned.
>
> Do you know if there any plans to update the appearance any time
> soon?
>
> Thanks again, Chris

You'll need to ask the developers about their plans.

Personally, I find K-9 to be well supported, standards-compliant and
fairly full featured. I'll take that any day over some client that's
"modern-looking" for the sake of being "modern", but is incapable of
anything beyond very basic use-case needs.

Voytek

Jul 20, 2015, 10:42:16 PM7/20/15
to k-9-...@googlegroups.com
ditto