New group to discuss adding FFI to the JVM

Charles Oliver Nutter

Aug 22, 2013, 7:44:46 PM8/22/13
to JVM Languages
I've set up a google group to discuss adding FFI to the JVM.

On the JRuby project, we've been working to improve our integration of
native libraries for years. At JVMLS 2013, I presented on the Java
Native Runtime (JNR) project, created by Wayne Meissner. We've been
using JNR for years to support a wide range of native libraries, and
the Rubyists love us for it.

It's time to get an FFI library built into Java.

The group is jvm...@googlegroups.com and you can join here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/jvm-ffi

Anyone who's interested in having fast access to native libraries with
the JIT and GC happily cooperating...get involved. I want a JSR for
Java 9.

- Charlie

Ted Neward

Aug 26, 2013, 9:30:44 PM8/26/13
to jvm-la...@googlegroups.com
Pardon my ignorance: why isn't JNI already considered an FFI for the JVM?
What would JNR do better than JNI does?

Ted Neward
Leading, Speaking, Consulting, Writing
http://www.tedneward.com

Charles Oliver Nutter

Aug 27, 2013, 1:18:31 PM8/27/13
to JVM Languages
FFI libraries provide a way to programmatically load and call
functions in dynamic libraries without writing any C or C++ code to
bridge. P/invoke on .NET is similar.

JNR, JNA, BridJ are the FFI libraries I know of on JVM.

- Charlie