How-to: Exporting .MD2 files from Cinema 4D

Lennart Breel

Jun 1, 2011, 7:40:29 AM6/1/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Hi everyone.

It took some trouble finding a decent solution for doing this, so I
thought I'd share it here.

I used Cinema 4D R12 running on Windows 7 32bit. The plugin is from
2005, so I think that it'll work on many other versions as well.
You do need to use an .exe for converting the file, so I'm afraid this
is PC only.

1. Download 'MD2-Exporter für Cinema4D(Plugin/ca.650kB)' from
http://mein-murks.de/ (the bottom link on the site).

2. Place AniMesh.COb in your plugins folder (standard: 'C:\Program
files\MAXON\CINEMA 4D R12\plugins')

3. In Cinema 4D: select your model and go to plugins -> export
AniMesh.

4. Fill in the frame start, end & step you want to export. (for
animations, don't export the last frame, or there may be trouble with
the animation in Junaio Glue (example; for a 20 frame animation, fill
in: start: '0', end: '19', step: '1')

5. Open AMS2MD2.exe and fill in what it asks of you.

And then you should have your .md2 file working well with Junaio Glue.

I hope this helps some people out!

Lennart

Frank

Jun 8, 2011, 4:23:12 AM6/8/11
to junaio Augmented Reality platform - Developers
Thank you Lennart,

if you do not mind, I would like to add it on the website as well.

Thanks,
Frank

On Jun 1, 1:40 pm, Lennart Breel <studiegidsmine...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> It took some trouble finding a decent solution for doing this, so I
> thought I'd share it here.
>
> I used Cinema 4D R12 running on Windows 7 32bit. The plugin is from
> 2005, so I think that it'll work on many other versions as well.
> You do need to use an .exe for converting the file, so I'm afraid this
> is PC only.
>
> 1. Download 'MD2-Exporter für Cinema4D(Plugin/ca.650kB)' fromhttp://mein-murks.de/(the bottom link on the site).

Lennart Breel

Jun 8, 2011, 4:40:52 AM6/8/11
to junaio-d...@googlegroups.com

Hey Frank,

Ofcourse I don't mind, go ahead!

Regards,

Lennart

Guidewire

Feb 29, 2012, 1:04:55 PM2/29/12
to junaio-d...@googlegroups.com
Any solutions for the Mac?

Delavaud Emeric

Oct 9, 2012, 5:43:49 PM10/9/12
to junaio-d...@googlegroups.com
got your plugin working .... !!! Looks Great ...

I can convert a C4D Object to AMS -> MD2 with it ...

but it doesn't move ...

Got a cube ... a distortion .. nothing else...

May be I missed something .?

Martin Gray

Oct 15, 2012, 5:59:00 AM10/15/12
to junaio-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I'm having a little trouble with the .MD2 format... well the exported .md2 file works great and it does play an animated model when uploaded to the software. But i need to label the frames(idle, turn, walk, etc), is this done within cinema 4D, within the exporting process or after being exported? I can't find any information anywhere on this even after multiple search terms on google. There is information on how to do it with other 3D modeling software but not cinema 4D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.